unknown scouring reasons?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i have 5 bottle calves that are scouring. 1 is three weeks old who was scouring 3 days after she was born, i treated her and she was fine untile 2 1/2 weeks later i seen she had navel infection. when i started treating her for navel ill, she started scouring again? the other four were scouring a few days after i got them. i also have a bigger calf(150 lbs of the mother) she is weaned and she also seems to have diahrea or watery feces. 2 of the calves drink less then they ussually do? the milk i feed the calves is supposed one of the best kind? does any one know what the problem could be?

CottageFarm

Reaction score
Ivan, I'm even newer to this than you are, but am also raising bottle calves.
They both started to scour about 4 days after I brought them home. I suspected that I was feeding more milk replacer than they were used to, so I backed their feedings down to 3 pints twice daily, with 2 quarts of electrolyte mix fed mid day. They improved after about 3 days so I resumed regular quatity, but still kept them on electrolytes. They started to scour again after 2 days. I reduced their milk again, but started adding about 6oz of yogurt as a probiotic to their electrolyte. They were back to normal within 36 hours and I resumed their 2 quart bottles another 36 hours after that. They've had no problems since, and I still give them the yogurt in 2 quarts water every 4-5 days for maintenance. It may be coincidence about the yogurt, but I like to play it safe.

CottageFarm

Reaction score
ivan.strilk":3ua57nns said:
1 is three weeks old who was scouring 3 days after she was born, i treated her and she was fine untile 2 1/2 weeks later i seen she had navel infection. when i started treating her for navel ill, she started scouring again?

Could that be due to a reaction to antibiotics ?