unknown cause of deaths

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif":1bwzmxrs said:
keith cyrus":1bwzmxrs said:
buckaroo_bif":1bwzmxrs said:
keith cyrus":1bwzmxrs said:
hi ..I am new and i hope i can get some hlp.
I just moved my calves to a new living covered area and they are looking good at one time and withing 24 hrs they are dying.

I am wondering whether this can be some type of food poisiining as they are eating a lot more and a lot better in ther new home

why not try a new hobby keith? :|

maybe you should stick to your day job, as being a comedian will not pay your bills

who's trying to be funny i'm serious you newbies think raising cows and calves is all fun and games. you are in for a rude awakening. problem is it is the cows and calves that suffer when you don't know jack from apple butter about what you are doing!
Sorry, gotta say Keith is right!

keith cyrus":3afvu02k said:
Thanks and I will leave it there.
The problem was the acidity ratio in the feed. As they were eating more, their little stomachs reacted to the increase amount of chemicals which were in the total mix ration..Ican't remember the exact name of the toxin, but I can look it up later, so it was a form of 'food poisining'.

However, the more sturdier calves did not hvae the same reaction as after the three calves died , we just started to feed grass. The vet said this was a good thing and probably changed the others lives.

It was a frightening experience as i said these calves just literally rolled up and died.
thanks for every ones concern. :) :)

From what you are saying, it sounds like acidosis. Rapidly fermenting starch changes the pH in the rumen to highly acid.
Can result from a change in amount fed or from amount of grains in the diet. My .02.

Latest posts