Unique Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Up here in Maine we only see the usual breeds, Hereford, Angus, etc. I myself have always had Angus. When I start my own farm, I want it to be diverse, and would like to get into some of the less popular breeds and try to bring back some breeds that are losing numbers. I would like to hear about some of the unique breeds that some of you have, and why you like them. My goal is also to produce grass fed beef so good pasture breeds are a must. So...what do you have and why do you love them?

I once had a neighbor gave me a Devon heifer back many years ago, and she was a really good cow. Easy going, raised good calves, until she finally got too crippled in her hips to move around. Butchered her last year, and we are still eating her hamburger. That meat is very lean...dont know if they are all that way, but she was.
I mainly just have Limousin cross with Beefmaster and Red Angus cows.

LoveMoo11":l4wy4fw5 said:
Up here in Maine we only see the usual breeds, Hereford, Angus, etc. I myself have always had Angus. When I start my own farm, I want it to be diverse, and would like to get into some of the less popular breeds and try to bring back some breeds that are losing numbers. I would like to hear about some of the unique breeds that some of you have, and why you like them. My goal is also to produce grass fed beef so good pasture breeds are a must. So...what do you have and why do you love them?

Sounds like you are looking for some Red Polls. They are one of the oldest British breeds in the US, they excel on grass, naturally tender, very docile and easy to work with.

Two breeds inreasing in popularity that you can google are; Sussex and North Devon called Red Devon in the USA.
A local farm breeds Shetland cattle, and breeds the older cows to Simmental feeding out all the F1 generation, and makes a good margin as the smaller Shetlands allow a larger number of breeding cows to be grazed.

I don't have them but one of my favorite breeds is Lakenvelder, they are a very old breed and were milk cows as well as beef. You see a lot of them in the Netherlands. They are perfect for grass..They come in red and white or black and white and the black and white new babies remind me of a panda bear.

We just have plain old Angus, but you might look into this group:

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is a nonprofit membership organization working to protect over 150 breeds of livestock and poultry from extinction. Included are asses, cattle, goats, horses, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys. Founded in 1977, the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is the pioneer organization in the U.S. working to conserve historic breeds and genetic diversity in livestock.

http://www.albc-usa.org/

Click on Livestock Breeds for a list of cattle.

Braunvieh is a very efficient, moderate breed that adapts very well to any climate. They are easy keepers, raise big calves and are very easy to work with. And, they last forever!!! Cows 15+ years and Bulls 10+ years. Great carcass traits too.

Having grown up & still on a dairy farm I wanted something a bit different than the usual run of the mill Limousin, Angus, Herefords, Simmental & Charolais cattle that are here in the area, and having first hand experience with the limo, angus & herefords & knowing the good & bad points of each breed decide to go with something a little different so I got Scottish Highland cattle. Each breed will tell you ALL the good points & rarely do they have any problems I have found this with my highlanders
Pros
1) Easy calving
2) Do very well on grass pastures
3) Very hardy tolerates the hot temps that we have here & the cold frosty mornings in winter (-7/-8 degrees c)
4) Goes back in calf easily
5) Excellent temperaments
6) They follow me everywhere like giant dogs - with a lead cow I can take them anywhere on the atv
7) Can survive on poor pasture - if you have decent grass stick them on it & be surprised at how fast they grow

Cons
1) Needs handled regularly - don't stick them out in the paddock & forget about them. Like everything the more work that is put in the better they will become.
2) 1st time heifers can have trouble calving - I will use a easy calving bull for mine
3) Calves can be a little spooky for 1-2 weeks after birth
4) Cows can & will be protective of calves - if all is well give cow/calf a few days to bond & hormones to settle down
5) They can have a blonde moment (but don't we all at times ;-) ) & not go where you want them to go

LoveMoo11":2d27hqae said:
Piedmontese is my breed of choice. With the increased continuing emphasis on health they seem to be the logical breed to allow folks to continue to enjoy beef with a low fat low cholesterol product. In addition to the "logical" reasons I love their appearance and personalities. I find them to be magnificent intelligent animals but at times just too smart for their own good, well maybe mine ;-) . Don't ever forget to latch or chain a gate....they are paying attention.

CKC1586":3nfui0k6 said:
LoveMoo11":3nfui0k6 said:
Piedmontese is my breed of choice. With the increased continuing emphasis on health they seem to be the logical breed to allow folks to continue to enjoy beef with a low fat low cholesterol product. In addition to the "logical" reasons I love their appearance and personalities. I find them to be magnificent intelligent animals but at times just too smart for their own good, well maybe mine ;-) . Don't ever forget to latch or chain a gate....they are paying attention.

I'm finding out that my Gelbvieh's may also have the same powers of observation. Spent 2 hours separating the first calvers the other night and when I turned my back found that they had tried all the gates til they found the week one and just walked thru it to get back with the old cows. 16feet of steel pipe solved that problem,got them separated again last night just in time to have the one drop a calf 45 min after I closed the new gate.

This may or may not be what you are looking for. I would recommend Durham Reds for you. I suggest this breed for a couple of reasons. 1. It is different than the other breeds yet has a degree of familiarity for your potential customers, 2. The bull battery of 2 different breeds (you can select bulls from both the Red Angus and the Shorthorn breeds), 3. You can get in on the breed in its infancy, and 4. Its red (which is almost unique in and of itself these days).

Well, since no else had said anything about them, I have to put in my word for Galloways. They come in all colors (Black, Red, Dun, white w/any of those color points, and belted in any of those three colors) They excel on grass, are the absolute best mothers, require no housing even in the hardest of winters, don't have to be babied or kept on grain to maintain body weight, and super docile, and earn their living by producing cows well into their late teens'. And as much as I would like to tell you some cons on them, I can't because I haven't run into any yet.

They are great as the numbers are small, but there are enough that we have a good breeders association and people that are very devoted to the breed.

I think that you're looking for.

novatech":38i9idd8 said:
I don't know if they will work in your cliamate but you may want to check out Aubrac and Murray Gray.
Murray Grey! Murray Grey! Murray Grey!
You'll never regret the docility, easy calving, supreme carcass qualities, tenderness, marbling, dark pigment that lessens skin & eye cancers, etc. etc. etc.....I LOVE THEM and so does everyone I know that breeds them...again, you'll never regret them.

I would like some Highlands,Galloways,Devons,Romagnola,Tarentaise. For the moment I have Brahmans ( had for nearly 40 years) South Devons (had for 20 years) and Herefords (had for 10 years)( been on the property for 60+ years.)
Each breed have their good points. Would be boring if there were only just a few breeds.
Colin