Unintentional Inbreeding/Linebreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer13

Reaction score
Had a yearling bull end up breeding his paternal sibling this spring. I know this has been done before successfully, and I don't know of any genetic defects, so should I be worried? Also had a sire breed a daughter of his who was supposed to bred to a different bull. Again, no known defects. Is there anything to be concerned with there?

Inbreeding is a long term and well planned. Inbreeding is what happened to you. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless you have some unknown defects hidden in your herd you will never know the difference.

wait.... did you just tell the OP he was inbred lol?! that's pretty funny on a rural/farming site.

Lol. I know what he meant. I was told once that it's linebreeding when it works, and inbreeding when it doesn't.

Farmer13 said:
Had a yearling bull end up breeding his paternal sibling this spring.
Also had a sire breed a daughter of his who was supposed to bred to a different bull.
Is there anything to be concerned with there?
Yes, reduced fertility is chief reason. 94% of Oops calves are best as terminal only.
Even in planned linebreeding a breeder needs strict culling standards for replacement
breeding stock.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hog catcher said:
Well i have been known to screw up.

I'm fascinated with this wild hog eradication process. Can you post some pictures of your traps and your successful captures? Hogs aren't a problem where I am but they say it's only a matter of time.

Thanks in advance.

Can't post pictures of the traps or kills. PETA has gave us some trouble and the hog hunters have recognized some of the locations in the past and used our baits for a easy hunt.

Hog catcher said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hog catcher said:
Well i have been known to screw up.

I'm fascinated with this wild hog eradication process. Can you post some pictures of your traps and your successful captures? Hogs aren't a problem where I am but they say it's only a matter of time.

Thanks in advance.

Can't post pictures of the traps or kills. PETA has gave us some trouble and the hog hunters have recognized some of the locations in the past and used our baits for a easy hunt.

Do you get paid per killed hog?

Hi I am about to make a post with a similar question. I am watching this with interest. Anyone brave enough to post some pictures of the oopsadaisy calves in question?

OzssieDave19 said:
Hi I am about to make a post with a similar question. I am watching this with interest. Anyone brave enough to post some pictures of the oopsadaisy calves in question?

I'll post some deliberately linebred cattle, they're about 4 1/2 months old

Bull calf from a 7/8th sibling mating

Momma (first timer) is a full sibling mating, calf is from a 7/8th sibling to both parents

Dam of the cow above

Full sister to the cow above

Another linebred momma (maternal sister to the bull calf) with her first calf

Sire of all the calves

If I have a cow or a few cows that always breed on time(in the top 10%) and raise a good bull calf....wouldn't keeping that bull calf or calves and breeding my cows with them fastrack the traits of that cow or cows to all the offspring?

Maybe - maybe not. If those top 10% cows were in fact the best cows, it may be from the hybrid vigor of being a crossbred cow, and if you continue to "crossbreed", that benefit gets diluted. You need to come back on your cows every couple generations with a PUREBRED to benefit.

Nesikep said:
OzssieDave19 said:

Momma (first timer) is a full sibling mating, calf is from a 7/8th sibling to both parents

Dam of the cow above

Sire of all the calves

Is there any given on what will come out with line breeding or close sib mating? Have you seen the good traits multiply or the bad ones? Does it depend on what you started with what comes out? Obviously you did it because you really like what they were and wanted more. So were you happy with results?

Angus Rocks said:
Is there any given on what will come out with line breeding or close sib mating? Have you seen the good traits multiply or the bad ones? Does it depend on what you started with what comes out? Obviously you did it because you really like what they were and wanted more. So were you happy with results?

I find father/daughter and mother/son matings to just not work very well... Maybe it's just from a small sample size, but that's my experience.. I'd read somewhere that you should try and stay below 50% influence from any single animal, Father/daughter matings would result in a 75/25% influence, while full sibling matings would stay at 50/50 for each of the two grandparents.

I'm hedging my bets a bit, I'll have another crop of calves from Hector, then next year I'll use Zeus and most likely another purebred Gelbvieh bull... I'll have to really study which animals I want bred to which bull to make best use of both of them.. Which ones do I want to reduce the frame on? which ones do I want to put more meat on?, Which ones are good at making replacement heifers, and which bull do I want for that?

Nesikep said:
OzssieDave19 said:

Dam of the cow above

Sire of all the calves
You got it down Nes, one of these days I hope to have it'