Unexplained calf death?

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnfarmer

Reaction score
My neighbor's commercial angus cow (previous calf was stillborn) gave birth to a normal weight heifer yesterday morning while standing. The calf never fed, barely stood for more than a few minutes at at time. By afternoon, was listless and heaving breathing. Some blood was noticed in nostrils. By 8pm, her breathing was extremely labored and her voice strained.
She died shortly after this, but not before a few convulsions went through her body.
Has anyone experienced this, and what internal or external reasons could there be? I know there are many diseases out there, but this happened extremely fast.
Thanks!

no, i dont know, but the question that comes to mind is.. does your neighbor have a vaccination program in place? lepto can cause stillborn and weak calves.

good luck

jt

i would ventue that this cow has some genetic flaw. maybe the calves lungs were not developed fully or something else. definitely needs to cull her

jerry27150":14d6oion said:
i would ventue that this cow has some genetic flaw. maybe the calves lungs were not developed fully or something else. definitely needs to cull her

Best advice yet. 2 calves dead, ship her. Shes costing more than she is worth. It will take several more healthy calve to pay for her. She ain't worth the risk. Put one in her place that is less risky.

I have never seen a calf fall gracefully from a standing cow.

She needs a new home, i can think of several ppl that are willing to take her, lets see, if I can remember, one was named McDonald's, Wendy, and then of course there is the "King"...Burger King that is.

Latest posts