Uneven calf--looks like bloat but isn't I don't think

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodkicker

Reaction score
I have a bull calf that is about seven months old. He has always been a little pot bellied but I am noticing that it is getting worse. The hefier calf that is with him is fine. Any ideas what is wrong?

You said in the title line that he's "uneven." Does he happen to have a slight limp? I'm not being silly or smart alec...does he maybe favor one hind leg?

Alice

Clodkicker":31v4pxud said:
I have a bull calf that is about seven months old. He has always been a little pot bellied but I am noticing that it is getting worse. The hefier calf that is with him is fine. Any ideas what is wrong?

We've got a yearling bull like that - he is also an enthusiastic eater, which accentuates the problem. As long as your bull calf is eating well, drinking, active, and bright eyed, I don't believe I would worry overly much about it.

His middle sticks out on both sides--however, both do not stick out equally. He is "bloated" unevenly. Does that make since? I've never seen this before.

Clodkicker":75sk1jvf said:
His middle sticks out on both sides--however, both do not stick out equally. He is "bloated" unevenly. Does that make since? I've never seen this before.

Typical haybelly. Eating a lot of either low quality forage or gassy forage, i.e. alfalfa, etc. I supplement of higher protein usually helps. But, once they get that look it takes a good while for it to go away

dun

Clodkicker":1epuxrgr said:
What is in the forage that causes it to be "gassy" to the calf?

Brassicas, clover, alfalfa, I'm sure there are other things too. Unrelarted to the gas issue, just a low quality diet that would cause him to eat a lot to get full can also cause haybelly.

dun

Latest posts