Understanding the Moon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on calculating when the moon will be at any given point during the day. Mostly interested in finding when it will be either directly over head or directly beneath my feet. Never quite figured this one out. My guess is that I can take the rise and the set time and the middle will be the overhead time and inversely for the beneath. Just guessing.

Here you go Jo!

http://www.voyageurcountry.com/htmls/huntingfishingtimes/index.html

On the table where it says moonup and moondown is what you are after, I believe. You have to adjust it depending on east or west of that point. Add 1 minute for each 12 miles east of that point, subtract 1 minute for each 12 miles west of that point. Kind of have to use cowboy math to an extent.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Here's another site that I found that you can personalize your location. Pretty interesting site too.

http://www.almanac.com/weathercenter/co ... /index.php

What I'm trying to figure out is when the moon will be directly over my head or beneath my feet as this should be the best time to be in a deer stand. If I split the rise and set times in half, then it looks like the moon will be directly over my head at first light in the morning. With rut in full swing, I think I best be sitting in the stand in the morning. I used to have a moon chart and it worked really well but I don't won't to spend the money on one.

Jo after alot of scientific calculations,consulting a astronomer, talking to a fortune teller and an old indian medicine man
I have figured the best time to be in a stand to kill a deer

I was pondering this out loud when the grandson heard and I think he is a genius he said the best time was When the deer is their Pop!!!

Try this Jogee,
sports.espn. go.com.
Astro Tables.
It gives the best times with the Moon under your feet and above. Its worked a couple of times for me.

Jogeephus":1m47ixsw said:
Anyone got any tips on calculating when the moon will be at any given point during the day. Mostly interested in finding when it will be either directly over head or directly beneath my feet. Never quite figured this one out. My guess is that I can take the rise and the set time and the middle will be the overhead time and inversely for the beneath. Just guessing.

Jo - having trouble sleeping again? HEE, HEE, HEE

This moon bizness is some impotent stuff. :nod: See, the way I figure it, when I kill the world record whitetail buck and the millions come rolling in from the endorsements I'll be on easy street. But seriously, the last time I plotted the moon and was in the stand during the rut at a peak period using a moon chart I saw 16 deer in two hours. Of those, 5 were bucks 3 of which I would have mounted. Another time I tested the theory by sitting in the stand from dailight to dark. Saw 12 deer all day. 10 were seen during the moon period. So, as you can see, this belief whether it is BS or not, it will give me the phsycological incentive to sit in a cold tree without whining too terribly much about it being cold. (I guess that's why this month's moon is called the Cold Moon)

I understand Jo and I was being serious about what the grandson said
I have seen this work it has some effect on their breeding habits and also on their feeding
I thought there was a page in the Farmers almanac but I didn't find it

Goodluck

Oh and I am feeling better now so got to take the grandson today

Rather than worrying about moon light.........
not supposed to hunt by the light of the moon anyway ..... joke son....

I would rather have Jo give me the location of his deer stand.

that seems to me to be the most important point.

I would position mine on state route 54 between my house and work as I saw three together in the road this morning. Hit one about this time last year. Saw five last saturday morning including a ten pointer and a six pointer and a spike and two does.

There are so many deer on that road that I am fearful of driving it in the early morning dark. I love it when the young hot shots blast by me to clear the road.

Saw a snow white doe behind my house about three weeks ago. totally white. I watched her for three or four minutes with the binoculars. Had a bald eagle in a tree in my front yard Sunday. First time I have seen one around home in about a year and a half.

Jo you are supposed to get out there before day light and hunt like crazy until it is time for the deer to come out around 11 a.m. :D :D

Deer have become nocturnal. It only makes sense that when a fawn leaves out of hiding to forage with mom, his day is about 24 hours and 27 minutes long (thereabout).

During the rut all bets are off because the big boys are running 24/7.

My idea of the perfect buck is one that has horns not quite through the skin yet. I don't kill big bucks. I don't raise LH's for my freezer either, although many folks do. If a deer is older than 18 months, that deer is safe around me.

I think I figured out how to do it. Turns out this morning the moon was right over me just before six. I could hear them whilst I walked to the stand. I set up between a feeding area and a bedding area. Saw 7 heading toward the bedding area within 30 minutes of one another. It seems the moon will be in position around 7 tonight for me so I'm guessing I need to get in between their food and their bed again. Maybe the plan will work.

Backhoe, I can't really tell you how I know this but those little deer, those veal deer are easier to clean too. I think I read this somewhere or summin. :lol2:

Jogeephus":3fuioac6 said:
Backhoe, I can't really tell you how I know this but those little deer, those veal deer are easier to clean too. I think I read this somewhere or summin. :lol2:

We had a resident doe on Dad's place back in the 70's. We took good care of her. She had triplets several years. Thankfully she never left the place. If she had ventured off into the property next door, one of the city boys on that deer lease would have blasted her.

Jogeephus":3kq9r9nh said:
those little deer, those veal deer are easier to clean too. I think I read this somewhere or summin. :lol2:
Do you at least wipe the milk off their faces before you btucher them?

well my prime stand on state route 54 had two lying in the ditches at 5:30 this morning.

One was a big doe still almost in the road.

the other was small and was head first in the ditch so I don't know what it was.

dun":34ycv76t said:
Jogeephus":34ycv76t said:
those little deer, those veal deer are easier to clean too. I think I read this somewhere or summin. :lol2:
Do you at least wipe the milk off their faces before you btucher them?

Never done that. Does that improve the flavor? :lol2:

Jogeephus":u5vgiu83 said:
This moon bizness is some impotent stuff. :nod: See, the way I figure it, when I kill the world record whitetail buck and the millions come rolling in from the endorsements I'll be on easy street. But seriously, the last time I plotted the moon and was in the stand during the rut at a peak period using a moon chart I saw 16 deer in two hours. Of those, 5 were bucks 3 of which I would have mounted. Another time I tested the theory by sitting in the stand from dailight to dark. Saw 12 deer all day. 10 were seen during the moon period. So, as you can see, this belief whether it is BS or not,
it will give me the phsycological incentive to sit in a cold tree without whining too terribly much
about it being cold. (I guess that's why this month's moon is called the Cold Moon)
Whatsamatter JO heater not work in the truck

newrancher":hiiehxzn said:
Jogeephus":hiiehxzn said:
This moon bizness is some impotent stuff. :nod: See, the way I figure it, when I kill the world record whitetail buck and the millions come rolling in from the endorsements I'll be on easy street. But seriously, the last time I plotted the moon and was in the stand during the rut at a peak period using a moon chart I saw 16 deer in two hours. Of those, 5 were bucks 3 of which I would have mounted. Another time I tested the theory by sitting in the stand from dailight to dark. Saw 12 deer all day. 10 were seen during the moon period. So, as you can see, this belief whether it is BS or not,
it will give me the phsycological incentive to sit in a cold tree without whining too terribly much
about it being cold. (I guess that's why this month's moon is called the Cold Moon)
Whatsamatter JO heater not work in the truck

I must confess my transgressions but I have been trying my utmost to do better and live right and hunt properly. :oops:

I must be doing better as I did refrain from shooting a twelve point at the city limit sign the other afternoon. The deer was standing in Cooter Brown's front yard and I know Cooter wouldn't have minded me shooting it as long as I shared the meat with him. But I showed restraint as painful as it was. ;-)

Latest posts