underfeeding cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My husband & I have just started raising Black Angus cattle. I know the body size & specifications of this breed are different from those of the Gelbveih breed. My question is should the ribs & hip bones & shoulder blades be able to be seen on the Gelbveih breed if they are being properly fed? A friend has a farm that is beside some folks that have the Gelbveih breed & they look awful! They stand at their fence line & bellow & look longingly at the hay & food being fed to our friend's cows. There is NO grass in this pine forest they have been turned out in & from what we understand the rancher feeds very little hay to these animals. I am going to confront him about this, but want all my ducks in a row before I go there. Thank you for any info you can give me. Jamie

[email protected]

> My husband & I have just
> started raising Black Angus
> cattle. I know the body size &
> specifications of this breed are
> different from those of the
> Gelbveih breed. My question is
> should the ribs & hip bones
> & shoulder blades be able to
> be seen on the Gelbveih breed if
> they are being properly fed? A
> friend has a farm that is beside
> some folks that have the Gelbveih
> breed & they look awful! They
> stand at their fence line &
> bellow & look longingly at the
> hay & food being fed to our
> friend's cows. There is NO grass
> in this pine forest they have been
> turned out in & from what we
> understand the rancher feeds very
> little hay to these animals. I am
> going to confront him about this,
> but want all my ducks in a row
> before I go there. Thank you for
> any info you can give me. Jamie

Can you see the last few ribs or can you count all of them? Does the back bone stick up with just the hide on it? Those are signs of drastically under fed cattle. This is a tough one because you are dealing with another persons opinion of how to raise cattle. I have always believed in the saying that you can't starve the profit out of a cow. Good Luck

>What are these cattle used for, brood, beef, sire, Etc.? I ask because there are factors like economics, health, marketability, breeding that play an important role in the end result-- which is your satisfaction. Jim

My husband & I have just
> started raising Black Angus
> cattle. I know the body size &
> specifications of this breed are
> different from those of the
> Gelbveih breed. My question is
> should the ribs & hip bones
> & shoulder blades be able to
> be seen on the Gelbveih breed if
> they are being properly fed? A
> friend has a farm that is beside
> some folks that have the Gelbveih
> breed & they look awful! They
> stand at their fence line &
> bellow & look longingly at the
> hay & food being fed to our
> friend's cows. There is NO grass
> in this pine forest they have been
> turned out in & from what we
> understand the rancher feeds very
> little hay to these animals. I am
> going to confront him about this,
> but want all my ducks in a row
> before I go there. Thank you for
> any info you can give me. Jamie

http://www.blackangus.org
[email protected]

If every one of them are thin, then maybe, but every herd has a few heavy milkers that drop condition when thay have a calf, maybe they need deworming, maybe its low quality hay, either way, you better tread lightly, or just mind your business all together. Have you just moved to the area? Have you ever talked to this person? How big of a herd do you have? What experience do you have rasing cattle? Do you own more than 5 acres?

I dont own a single cow or any land and never have so maybe I'm not qualified to comment but here's my :2cents: for what is worth.
this is a sensitive issue and needs to be dealt in a sensitive manner. You need to seek advice from a vet or experienced person in the area. Maybe you could take some photos to show to someone like I mentioned.
Its also a complex issue and I think if you don't know this person well enough to know how the may react you should speak the appropriate authorities and let them deal with it.
I definately wouldn't turn a blind eye or ignore the issue, there are plenty of crooks out There that don't deserve to own cattle.

I think since the OPs question was asked 11 years ago we can assume the issue resolved. :lol:

Triple B you bought this post back from the dead! It was made in 2001 and noone had commented since until you did lol.
Sorry for my poor reaction to your comments, I just felt it was a little narrow minded.

Latest posts