underbite

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne, I agree too. The heifer I was talking about now has a heifer calf. I should probably have paid a little more attention to those teeth sticking out when she was young. I had completely forgotten. I did check the calf out and her bite looks ok. She is a really nice heifer calf, except she seems to have shallow eyes that want to water some. I think this also is a defect and shouldn't be used for breeding.

Rod
Having small eyes, no eye ball formed in the socket or other eye defects are some of the rarer birth defects that calves or other mammals have when they are exposed to toxins which cause the now common birth defects like underbite during development in the womb. In human mothers, the highly used insecticide, imidacloprid, goes directly across the placenta and into the fetus according to a new study. Interestingly, 99% of the women tested, tested positive for imidacoprid exposure. It is likely that imidacloprid goes across the placenta in other exposed pregnant mammals. Underbite on a calf is not caused by the genetics of the parents. It is caused by toxin exposure to the calf as a fetus. If a cow has a calf with an underbite, it is not the cow's or the bull's fault. It is because the air the cow breaths, the foliage/hay/grain she eats and/or the water she drinks while carrying her fetus contains toxins that disrupt bone growth. Imidacloprid is a highly used toxin that does.

and.....
1 to mention that if you used Corriente cattle you would cut lighting cost over 90%. :cool:
The high prevalence of underbite in calves began in spring of 1995, the year after imidacloprid began being highly used in 1994, so not at all surprising that calves were being born with underbite 18 years ago and not surprising that this is an 18 year old thread. If imidacloprid were banned from use, it would be a NA thread - wouldn't that be great!

99% of the women tested, tested positive for imidacloprid exposure.
I was going to ask for documentation. But it's a meaningless stat because humans tested would be mainly people known to have been in contact with insecticide spills or other mishaps. From 1999-2018 imidacloprid was the most widely used insecticide and is the most popular seed treatment insecticide in the world. Marketed under many names, Marathon is one I have used.

Interestingly testing has shown contamination to be more prevalent in urban areas than rural areas. (Most likely runoff from parks and lawns rather than from cropland)

February 2018 European Union restricted its use due to effects on bees.
May 2019 EPA revoked approval for a number of products containing imidacloprid.
July 2022 Massachusetts banned its use in commercial products while Connecticut, Maryland and Vermont have restricted its use.
19% of rivers and streams tested in California exceeded EPA safety thresholds for aquatic invertebrates, so I expect some sort of regulation will one day be coming from the land of fruits and nuts.

Last edited:
I was going to ask for documentation. But it's a meaningless stat because humans tested would be mainly people known to have been in contact with insecticide spills or other mishaps. From 1999-2018 imidacloprid was the most widely used insecticide and is the most popular seed treatment insecticide in the world. Marketed under many names, Marathon is one I have used.

Interestingly testing has shown contamination to be more prevalent in urban areas than rural areas. (Most likely runoff from parks and lawns rather than from cropland)

February 2018 European Union restricted its use due to effects on bees.
May 2019 EPA revoked approval for a number of products containing imidacloprid.
July 2022 Massachusetts banned its use in commercial products while Connecticut, Maryland and Vermont have restricted its use.
19% of rivers and streams tested in California exceeded EPA safety thresholds for aquatic invertebrates, so I expect some sort of regulation will one day be coming from the land of fruits and nuts.
I may have said that incorrectly. It said 99% of women tested positive to exposure to neonicotinoids, including imidacloprid.

This link https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304389422025110 and this link https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/neonic-pesticides.phphave links to quite a few studies. One study included women from states all over the U.S. Many studies of neonicotinoids, including imidacloprid were done in other countries. Only around 50% of children tested in the U.S. had neonicotinoids in their urine. However, neonicotinoids have been shown to damage the liver of exposed people and are linked to promotion of breast cancer https://beyondpesticides.org/dailyn...re-linked-to-hormone-dependent-breast-cancer/ so in addition to causing starvation of people, especially children by killing pollinators in countries all over the world, neonicotinoids directly cause serious health issues in humans. In addition, imidacloprid was shown to cause serious health issues in a grazing animal, which have also been documented in domestic grazing animals. Neonicotinoids, especially imidacloprid have been found in rain, snow and surface water everywhere. Deer tested in areas of Minnesota far from fields had concerning levels of imidacloprid in their spleens which was done because of what a South Dakota State University study showed happened to white-tailed deer deliberately exposed to imidacloprid alone.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/whitetail-deer-insecticide-exposure/

https://www.twincities.com/2021/03/...-exposure-in-minnesota-white-tailed-deer/amp/

E. H. Berheim, et al. "Effects of Neonicotinoid Insecticides on Physology and Reproductive Characteristics of Captive Female and Fawn White-tailed Deer, March 14, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-40994-9

Most concerning for people, especially pregnant mothers, a new study was published that shows neonicotinoid insecticides and their metabolites are able to go through the human placenta to expose the fetus whenever the mother is exposed.
Zhang H, Bai X, Zhang T, Song S, Zhu H, Lu S, Kannan K, Sun H. Neonicotinoid Insecticides and Their Metabolites Can Pass through the Human Placenta Unimpeded. Environ Sci Technol. 2022 Nov 28. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.2c06091. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36441562.

If imidacloprid can do that on a pregnant human, it certainly can and does do the same on other pregnant mammals. Thank you.

See there. I'm not the only oldie-goldie.
I have been on here about 5 months longer than you. MWJ has been here about a week longer than me. There may be others if we searched for them. They first started making a person register the first of 2004. Actually I had been here about 2 years before that. I didn't trust it when they started making people register. Took me until July that year to register.

I just noticed that Jake who doesn't post here very often any more has been registered since December 2003.

Last edited:
The board had some characters at that time. I also wondered why they wanted ''close control'' for us to post.

Our area of Montana didn't have internet access back then, so I couldn't have posted if I had found CattleToday. MWJ, I totally agree with your "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!" They can actually kill all life on the planet without half trying.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

That could be taken either of 2 ways. Large groups of stupid people on a soapbox or...... an individual/small group of stupid ones with a large audience (group).

Remember the CT member (under several different usernames and genders) that had his/her fetish about an element and for several years here at CT railed on and on about it being the devil incarnate and was gonna be the end of us all and decimate the world cattle market?

It (the fetished element) was Sulphur/Sulfur.

I've know several people with an underbite. Didn't seem to bother their eating or chewing none. Thank Gawd no one demanded that they be neutered so they couldn't reproduce and bring ruin upon the world's future population..

Last edited:
That could be taken either of 2 ways. Large groups of stupid people on a soapbox or an individual/small group of stupid ones with a large audience (group).

Remember the CT member (under several different usernames and genders) that that had his/her fetish about an element and for several years here at CT railed on and on about it being the devil incarnate and was gonna be the end of us all and decimate the world cattle market?

It was Sulphur/Sulfur.

I've know several people with an underbite. Didn't seem to bother their eating or chewing none. Thank Gawd no one demanded that they be neutered so they couldn't reproduce and bring ruin upon the world's future population..

Probably DDT the cause of those underbites in those days GB. We will have to get Judy's opinion on that one.

Ken

I had forgot about the king of sulfur. He was entertaining to say the least. He could ,reach, twist and squirm like an Olympic gymnast.

Latest posts