underbite

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
will calves born with a slight underbite out grow it?

jt

I actually asked my vet that very question 2 years ago....answer ...no. I had a pet steer I kept that had a slight underbite, kinda made him look like he was pouting :lol: . As long as it doesn't interfere with his ability to graze and chew properly, should be fine.

I used to have one...until my folks had me get braces..I found out at that time that if you lose a tooth on top when those teeth are being pulled together, there is no place for that new one to go except for out of the line of the other teeth. One problem solved, another occurred.

Underbite is where your bottom teeth are out further than your upper teeth.

greatgerts":1ya4zrag said:
I used to have one...until my folks had me get braces..I found out at that time that if you lose a tooth on top when those teeth are being pulled together, there is no place for that new one to go except for out of the line of the other teeth. One problem solved, another occurred.

Underbite is where your bottom teeth are out further than your upper teeth.

They would have had to break my jaw to fix mine, as it was not due to teeth. I remember it actually developing as I grew older. Looking back, I wonder if some of the strain of lifting weights at a very young age may have somehow contributed? My grandpa had a very firm chin though, so maybe I inherited it. :lol:

I had a heifer calf a few years back that I think had a little under bite. She had really big teeth, that stuck out from her lip. Seems like she grew out of it fairly fast.

Rod

MR3":3t4nzckj said:
I had a heifer calf a few years back that I think had a little under bite. She had really big teeth, that stuck out from her lip. Seems like she grew out of it fairly fast.

Rod

I stand corrected! The heifer I was talking about I have up by the house to be inseminated. I was just checking her out and she still looks to have a little under bite. Guess maybe she didn't grow out of it. Her teeth don't stick out like before though.

Rod

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21hao6in said:
An underbite or overbite is a defect. The animal should not be used for breeding. She/he may be able to maintain body condition properly but their offspring might have a more severe condition.

i agree... this calf will not be held.

jt

Jeanne, I agree too. The heifer I was talking about now has a heifer calf. I should probably have paid a little more attention to those teeth sticking out when she was young. I had completely forgotten. I did check the calf out and her bite looks ok. She is a really nice heifer calf, except she seems to have shallow eyes that want to water some. I think this also is a defect and shouldn't be used for breeding.

Rod

An underbite or overbite is a defect. The animal should not be used for breeding. She/he may be able to maintain body condition properly but their offspring might have a more severe condition.
Jeanne, you are correct. And when the calves are older, they still have an underbite, but their lips grow so they cover the protruding teeth, so when people say that the underbite goes away, they are wrong. It is still there, just not as visible as on a newborn calf. Also Jersey cattle did not have underbite until after 1994. They seem to be more susceptible to the toxins that cause underbite on fetuses of mammals.

18 year old thread.
Some kind of new record I think!

How many online forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

18 year old thread.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....
And admin to banish thread to politics and religious forum for being too controversial.

18 year old thread.

and.....
1 to mention that if you used Corriente cattle you would cut lighting cost over 90%. :cool:

Jeanne, you are correct. And when the calves are older, they still have an underbite, but their lips grow so they cover the protruding teeth, so when people say that the underbite goes away, they are wrong. It is still there, just not as visible as on a newborn calf. Also Jersey cattle did not have underbite until after 1994. They seem to be more susceptible to the toxins that cause underbite on fetuses of mammals.
I bet that really helped the OP.

Latest posts