Ultra Black

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
The way I understand the "breed" of Ultra Black, it is the offspring of a Brangus bred with an Angus.

I am not sure if it matters if the breed is a paternal or maternal offspring? So I am clear - the bull could be Angus on a Brangus cow, or a Brangus bull an Angus cow. That is a question.

Anyway - Does anyone here run Ultra Blacks?

Saturday October 10, 2015
43 Bulls and 54 Females
Sale Averages:
Coming 2 Year Old Brangus & Ultrablack Bulls–$4800.00
Yearling Bulls–$3500.00
Bred Commercial Heifers–$3200.00
Open Commercial Heifers–$1850.00

Cow Creek Ranch. Home of the Ultrablack.

Cow Creek Ranch began breeding Ultrablack® cattle (Brangus x Angus) in 1993 and began actively marketing them in 1996. Cow Creek Ranch trademarked the Ultrablack name in 1998. In 2005, Cow Creek Ranch sold the Ultrablack trademark to the International Brangus Breeders Association (IBBA), San Antonio.

http://www.cowcreekbulls.com/09.Ultrablack.html

And to confuse matters further.... There is Angus Plus.....

Rockbrook Ranch immediately began "testing the waters" on what some considered a radical idea, breeding our registered Brangus to registered Angus. Because Rockbrook had such a large investment in Brangus, being one of the top 10 largest registered Brangus breeders, "we started slowly, wanting to make sure this was the right direction to go. It didn't take us long to make a full commitment and devote our entire breeding program to producing Angus Plus.

http://www.sauercattle.com/angus_history.html

It seems that commercial producers in the southern half of the US could benefit from a shot of "ear" in their cattle in order to better handle the heat, humity, insects, and fescue. However, many that did use Brangus, Beefmaster, Gerts, etc. in their breeding programs, switched to Taurus breeds due to the eared calves being discounted at the sale barn. In my opinion, an Ultrablack bull is an excellent option, as the calves will still maintain some of the benefits from the Brahman influence, and the resulting calves should not show near as much ear, though I expect that this will vary depending on how much ear the Ultrablack bull has.

Angus Plus is basically the commercial term for Brangus x Angus.

We have been buying registered Angus cows the last couple years to start making UBs. Had our first UB calf last week! I think a lot of people choose Brangus in our area because straight Angus just don't do well. If we can make bulls that have a notch less ear but more heat tolerance than an Angus, I think it's a win-win. To me, they are the perfect bull to put on any type of F1 Brahman cow...or any type of cow.

As far as the breed association goes, it takes 3 generations of crossing back to Brangus to get back to a full registered Brangus. It's my understanding that they did it in order to add new genetics via Angus, instead of only being able to use Brahman and starting from ground zero. Earlier generations may have more heterosis, but not consistency, and the closer that you are to Brahman the more color and horn issues you are going to have.

We do currently run an Ultrablack bull, don't have any UB cows though. This calf is out of an UB bull and a purebred Gelbvieh cow. He is about 4 months old. Our UB bull doesn't have a ton of ear but still has a lot of leather.

Been thinking of breeding my registered angus cows to brangus bulls chasing the good females this would produce, still going to have the byproduct of bulls wondering if I would have a problem selling them south of me, living in Minnesota any thoughts

Tn cattle, If you're living in MN forget it we don't need Brahman influence up here plus the market wants no part of them. Down south they are a great animal just not relavant up here imho. Being a UB you might get away with some but I wouldn't do it..

TN Cattle":24qsn176 said:
Been thinking of breeding my registered angus cows to brangus bulls chasing the good females this would produce,
still going to have the byproduct of bulls wondering if I would have a problem selling them south of me,
living in Minnesota any thoughts
Which F1's sell best in your local area?
Being able to sell all locally should Net more than shipping a few to Tennessee.

frieghttrain said:
Tn cattle, If you're living in MN forget it we don't need Brahman influence up here. Don't even know why they'd want it, up there...they would produce good females, but their only as good as the environment and market, will allow em to be...you can be great in every thing you do..but not if your out of your element