Uh - Oh !!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
What's the biggest Uh - Oh you have made it the Cattle business?

Rules for this topic -

You can't say getting into cattle was the biggest Uh - Oh.

Was going to cut some bull calves and a fella was supposed to come by and help me. Got them all sorted when the fella called me and said he couldn't make it. Not to be whipped, I began running calves into the chute and using baling string to tie their tails up so I could get in the arse kissing position. Things went well for a while but I guess I had gotten a bit sloppy in my knot tieing (and possibly a bit too proud) when uh-oh the knot came loose the tail came down and the hooves came up like Ali's fists. The rest is best described with a picture - if only I had a picture of a frog in a blender.

first thing that came to mind was leavin gates open and cattle getting out. yeah, you can tell i havnt been into cattle long when thats the worst.

Our family each have a different one.
Mine was helping sort cows and calves at weaning and yelling at our friend to shut the gate to stop a first year heifer and I tried to stop her by pushing on her shoulder. He slammed the gate on my hand. The air turned a pretty blue.

I got pi$$ at a heifer, flung a pitch fork at her. She kicked at it perfectly, sent it tine first at my head. Bad time, I recovered, at least partly. :oops: That was long ago, I remember everytime I see a pitchfork. :roll:

My latest blunder was this past Sunday when we loaded up six cows and moved them fourteen miles to a new leased pasture. After a couple of hours I noticed that one of the cows was agitated and bawling alot. All of a sudden it hit me, I had loaded her up and left her calf back at the other place. Before I could get her loaded up she took off to the back side of the place and got out. So, I spent the rest of the day running through woods and places I don't even know if deer have seen. After about five miles and four or five farms I finally got her up into someone's corral. Hitchhiked back to my truck and trailer, went back to the corral to get her and she was out again. Finally, got some help got her roped and drug into the trailer. Took her back to her calf and everything was back to normal. She's a very gentle cow that I raised, she just wanted her calf. It was totally my fault for not paying more attention to her when we loaded them-I completely forgot that she had a calf. Anyway, I can almost walk normal again, some of the soreness is gone from my back and legs but I still have plenty of insect bites and poison ivy.

Awe, it wasnt that big. I can almost get my hat back on now. Its a good thing she wasnt really mad. :lol:

Haying cows for an old man who was on vacation, back when I was a kid. I had to do it after school, he had always done it during the day. I drove out to the barn, loaded the square bales on the truck, and started blowing the horn. Lots of cows started coming to me from the area of the road. The cows didn't quite look the same but I started counting. There was supposed to be 70 something of them. Seems there were a few extra. When I turned around to start over counting, the cows that were supposed to be there started coming out of the cedar breaks. The original cows were from across the road and the old guy over there now had a load of hay and his horn honking, looking for his cows, with his gate also open.

backhoeboogie":2bi7etzw said:
Haying cows for an old man who was on vacation, back when I was a kid. I had to do it after school, he had always done it during the day. I drove out to the barn, loaded the square bales on the truck, and started blowing the horn. Lots of cows started coming to me from the area of the road. The cows didn't quite look the same but I started counting. There was supposed to be 70 something of them. Seems there were a few extra. When I turned around to start over counting, the cows that were supposed to be there started coming out of the cedar breaks. The original cows were from across the road and the old guy over there now had a load of hay and his horn honking, looking for his cows, with his gate also open.

Thats funny. What did you do? What did he say?

3MR":pesccs0f said:
backhoeboogie":pesccs0f said:

Thats funny. What did you do? What did he say?

The guy I was haying for just laughed heartedly when I told him the story.

Thankfully the old guy across the road had a handle on the situation. He had his son and wife come out to help. We had them all sorted, except for a few, in less than an hour. All I had to do was work the gates exactly like the old guy told me. A few of his cows had to be run in a pen and sorted. His son hauled those across the road in a trailer.

Reminds me of when a cell phone rings and everybody checks to see if its theres.

I think I am going to have to change the horn on my truck. Id hate for my cows to answer somebody elses horn. :lol: