Uh Huh

Help Support CattleToday:

Huh? :). No problem is pretty common reply to any sort if interaction around here. I'm from a part of Germany that thc reply on the street weather you know the person or not us "Chris Gott". God bless. It might be shallow at some level but beats " hey. What's up?" In my world.

CJC":34j0mujk said:
One thing I will never understand and perhaps that is because I am Canadian.

Why when I say, "thank you" why do people respond with Uh Huh. Have we all forgot about You're Welcome? And is it just me or does that come across as rude?
Don't let it bother you. Some don't even grunt after you help them.

CJC":1mr8i03j said:
One thing I will never understand and perhaps that is because I am Canadian.

Why when I say, "thank you" why do people respond with Uh Huh. Have we all forgot about You're Welcome? And is it just me or does that come across as rude?

That is rude. Uh Huh is a colloquial for "I heard you." It demeans your effort to thank them. That is not because you are Canadian. It would be rude to do that in Kentucky.

I also do not like the no problem response but not as rude as the Uh Huh.

Be glad you got a response. I grew up in the good part of California and if you got out much past the local hardware store it was not at all uncommon to hold the door for a lady and have her not even look at you. It was also not uncommon for you to say "good morning" or "thank you" to someone and not even get a response. Forget about looking people in the eye and or waving, that was nonexistent.
Coming from that I don't consider any response that takes into account that something friendly was said to be rude.

I'm guilty of the "no problem" response, but it's usually with close friends, etc... I do use the more formal "you're welcome" when dealing with anyone I'm not familiar with..

Uh huh, and grunts are certainly not acceptable replacements.

I don't remember ever getting the uhh huh response, but have gotten the "no problem", mostly from servers at restaurants. I find it mildly irritating, but I don't think they mean anything by it. My daughter is a server and I've encouraged her to say "you're welcome", especially to older generations.

Rafter S":2ugy8k9t said:
I don't remember ever getting the uhh huh response, but have gotten the "no problem", mostly from servers at restaurants. I find it mildly irritating, but I don't think they mean anything by it. My daughter is a server and I've encouraged her to say "you're welcome", especially to older generations.

Bingo.

Kids don't realize it's not appropriate. I encourage my 3 children to refrain from the expression.

I don't like the term either but I can sure see why it is used. How many times have you gotten the "thank you" while the person is talking on the phone, or wiping the counter or any number of things that have absolutely nothing to do with you or the transaction that just occurred. It's perfunctory and means absolutely nothing. If I can determine it is heartfelt I will always respond with a "You're welcome". Here's another term that drives me crazy. "Have a nice day". Meaningless!

I really just don't pay much attention to what one says. I've heard several of these. Myself I was taught to say you're welcome but I think I've used Uh Huh a time or two. Usually the parties are in a hurry or I'm distracted with something on my mind. I'm not a fan of the line "Honey, what can I get for ya" or "come back honey".

People often respond to things like that without thinking. Like the checker at the grocery store asking "How are you?". When I'm asked that I usually respond with something out of the ordinary, like "Better than I deserve", "Getting better every day", "Not bad for an old fat man", or "If it was any better I couldn't stand it" just to see what reaction I'll get.

Here in the south it's "Have A Blessed Day", that one annoys the shyt out of me. Most of the locals that say it are the back stabbin', two faced ones.

Rafter S":1wyp4gin said:
People often respond to things like that without thinking. Like the checker at the grocery store asking "How are you?". When I'm asked that I usually respond with something out of the ordinary, like "Better than I deserve", "Getting better every day", "Not bad for an old fat man", or "If it was any better I couldn't stand it" just to see what reaction I'll get.
That's where I get my dander up. Whenever someone asks how I'm doing I make sure to respond and in turn ask how they are. That isn't supposed to be a one way question but that's how people take it most of the time. You'd be surprised how many people get kind of dumbfounded that you asked back, especially if you act like you care.
To me having someone ask how I'm doing and not check back on their state is self centered.

Latest posts