Ugliest Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
A while back there was an ugliest cow thread. I didn't have a pic of her at the time but I thought I would share a pic of one of my Mothers pets. It is an Irish Belmont heifer ( jersey x dexter). This sawed off barrell with legs has been AI'd to a miniature Jersey bull. This little girl really holds her own around the bigger, full-sized cattle. She don't take any crap off of them when it comes time to establish pecking order. She only weighs about 500 pounds.

mazie.jpg

HerefordSire":1i5y69ds said:
What percentage weaning weight ratio does she and her calf usually produce?

I don't know since she is a heifer and has not had a calf yet. She should have her first calf in October. I suspect she should be a heavy milker though.

Loch Valley Fold":kq833xdr said:
Nice looking young heifer would be interested to see her 4-6weeks after she has calved as I've thought about using this cross myself.

I'll be sure and post a pic after she calves. My Mother found a niche market for the dual purpose little buggers. She used a dexter bull on jersey cows. She sold all of the steers for single / small family meat animals and the heifers for small acerage milkers. She kept this one to cross with a miniature jersey to reduce the size even further. We were using a jersey cow for a family milk cow but it produced so much more milk than we could use we had to get a jersey bull calf to help keep her milked down. If this heifer has a small 3/4 jersey heifer it will become the family milker for us.

They have great dispositions and are easy to work.

Congratulations - she is ugly. :)

I expect the horns are a great equalizer, unless the others also have them.

Loch Valley Fold":n9j11hfv said:
Nice looking young heifer would be interested to see her 4-6weeks after she has calved as I've thought about using this cross myself.

I have a cow which is a similar idea, but lowline angus X jersey. She's 46 inches tall - don't know weight, but is still giving me nearly 2 gallons milk daily a year after calving (got her bred late), on grass and a quart of grain daily. Which is a problem as I need to dry her up next week. I have bred her to a mostly lowline bull (48 inches tall), but calving has been really easy, so I'm going to try a standard angus, low birthweight bull. She will then set a new record for meat and milk produced per pound of cow on cheap feed. :D Just don't ask me about my time and expenses.
Here's a photo when calf was about 10 months old.

IMG_0019.jpg

"Here's a photo when calf was about 10 months old.
That is some calf I like it very much :clap: I tried to ai some of our Jersey dairy cows to a Dexter bull this year but had no luck with the straws, the darn plug jammed at the end of the straw in the end I wasted 4 straws as they all did the same thing. I want to breed a small (miniature) Jersey that is small but have a load of milk. I want some cows like these
http://minijerseysbydexter.homestead.com/index.html but there are none available in Oz. Sometimes I think you guys have all the fun ;-)

Loch Valley Fold":2imcgfhc said:
"Here's a photo when calf was about 10 months old.
That is some calf I like it very much :clap: I tried to ai some of our Jersey dairy cows to a Dexter bull this year but had no luck with the straws, the darn plug jammed at the end of the straw in the end I wasted 4 straws as they all did the same thing. I want to breed a small (miniature) Jersey that is small but have a load of milk. I want some cows like these
http://minijerseysbydexter.homestead.com/index.html but there are none available in Oz. Sometimes I think you guys have all the fun ;-)

Loch Valley Fold,

The web link that you referred to is where my Mother buys her semen. The heifer in the pic at the start of this thread is AI'd to the John Bob bull shown under the SEMEN section of the web page.

When the kids were small I kept a milk cow around, everyone loved the milk and butter. Maybe should have a milk cow around.
Hope you get that heifer calf.

Loch Valley Fold":3dc7glzl said:
:nod: That is my pick of the 3 bulls, although I think Orlando may be a tad better I hope your mother gets some colour on the calf.

Semen on Johnny Bob is $100.00 a straw. I think he should throw pure gold for that price. She has one straw left that I think she is going to rebreed with.

Yeah that's getting up to the top end of prices I paid almost $200/straw for Mason Boomer Sooner Berretta straws over the last couple of years have almost 20 of them sitting in the tank now just waiting for a cow decent enough to run a ET program with using those straws the cow I was going to use them on is getting old now so may have to move to one of her several daughters.

Latest posts