UGH! ***picture warning

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":1t5ecf4g said:
So what would you have told me? What should i have asked? I've butchered many deer in my kitchen. This one quarter was too much for me to even move, i had to cut sections out just so i could roll it over.

What should you have asked, " anybody got any tips on processing a 400# steer?"

Asking for advise on something you do not do all the time is not a crime.

1) Debone the hind qtrs, pull the loin and saw the ribs hanging and put meat into ice chest to cool it quickly.
2) remove front shoulders place in ice chest to be deboned on the table.
3) I prefer to let the meat soak in a Ice slurry a few days before I grind it.
4) the roast and loin(ribeye) and tenderloin could be cut and wrapped right away.
5) Grinding nonaged beef will be gummy if the meat is not chilled. if the meat starts to gum sprinkle some ice chips in the throat of the grinder.
6) grind first time then mix by hand to evenly distribute the fat and grind second time and catch your packages as it exits the grinder.

putting everything in ice chest will allow you to get all of your supplies together, allow you to recruit help and so on.

just a few tips on the way I do Deer, Hogs, and the emergency beef processing.

Did all that, just had problems with the grinder, had problems keeping my knife sharp and the body parts were big and heavy...

cowgirl8":344lf3sz said:
Did all that, just had problems with the grinder, had problems keeping my knife sharp and the body parts were big and heavy...

12 hrs to debone, you would have been better off to go buy some new knives , especially when you can't sharpen a knife.

M5farm":285oylwb said:
cowgirl8":285oylwb said:

12 hrs to debone, you would have been better off to go buy some new knives , especially when you can't sharpen a knife.
Sharper knives would have helped....took less time to debone. Most of that time was cutting the pieces into smaller pieces, trimming and grinding. I did a very thorough job with very little waste. My main gripe was the grinder, handling the very large pieces and keeping the meat cold. We are miles from everything so running to town to grab a bag of ice is time consuming and getting new meat knives, not sure where i'd have to go for that. I have some pretty good knives(i think you can see them in the picture) and a knife sharpener, but he was out playing in his new toy. He did sharpen them for me eventually...hesitantly knowing i'm haphazard with knives. I really worried about sticking my hand in the grinder, had to keep on my toes to keep from doing that..lol....processed tomatoes the next day and found out i had tiny cuts all over my hands once the tomato juice hit them. Had only one big cut on a knuckle to the bone, but it was small..I just get so engrossed in what i do i forget to be careful so everyone around me has to keep a good eye on me..Its amazing i have all 10 fingers still....

cowgirl8":1ibxgikg said:
M5farm":1ibxgikg said:
cowgirl8":1ibxgikg said:

Sharper knives would have helped....took less time to debone. Most of that time was cutting the pieces into smaller pieces, trimming and grinding. I did a very thorough job with very little waste. My main gripe was the grinder, handling the very large pieces and keeping the meat cold. We are miles from everything so running to town to grab a bag of ice is time consuming and getting new meat knives, not sure where i'd have to go for that. I have some pretty good knives(i think you can see them in the picture) and a knife sharpener, but he was out playing in his new toy. He did sharpen them for me eventually...hesitantly knowing i'm haphazard with knives. I really worried about sticking my hand in the grinder, had to keep on my toes to keep from doing that..lol....processed tomatoes the next day and found out i had tiny cuts all over my hands once the tomato juice hit them. Had only one big cut on a knuckle to the bone, but it was small..I just get so engrossed in what i do i forget to be careful so everyone around me has to keep a good eye on me..Its amazing i have all 10 fingers still....
How do you get one big cut to the bone that was small?

I had my finger bent where the skin was tight on top of the knuckle, the knife slipped and hit right at the edge of my bent finger where the skin was tight...The cut was 1/4 inch.

Latest posts