Udder Scoring

Help Support CattleToday:

susanw

Reaction score
All... The Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) is going to discuss adding an Udder Scoring System to the BIF guidelines during the June meeting in Fort Collins.

I was looking for some practical producer input to take into this discussion and would appreciate any insights you might have on the general questions below:

1) Do you use an Udder Scoring system? If so which one (most are based on the system developed by the American Holstein Assoc.)

2) Are these systems to complex or too subjective?

3) Most comments I read talk about looking for a "Good Udder" how would you define that?

4) Do bull buyers place any importance on Udder Quality?

5) If the economics boil down to A) Nurses without assistance or B) Needs assistance to nurse ... is that really the more important issue?

6) Does longevity of udder also play a role? For example if one bull's daughter have increasing udder problems at a younger age vs. a bull's daughters that maintain udder quality later in life. Or is this reflected in a Stayability EPD and as such redundant to this discussion.

I appreciate any insights.
Susan

susanw":74y2e9e6 said:
All... The Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) is going to discuss adding an Udder Scoring System to the BIF guidelines during the June meeting in Fort Collins.

I was looking for some practical producer input to take into this discussion and would appreciate any insights you might have on the general questions below:

1) Do you use an Udder Scoring system? If so which one (most are based on the system developed by the American Holstein Assoc.)I use the one provided by the AHA

2) Are these systems to complex or too subjective?
I like there's. Describtions and pictures = easy

3) Most comments I read talk about looking for a "Good Udder" how would you define that? This could go into alot of detail, but basically a nice level teated bag, good milk flow- and not ballooned teats (again could go into ALOT of detail)

4) Do bull buyers place any importance on Udder Quality? Depends if they are in it for terminal cross or replacement heifers.

5) If the economics boil down to A) Nurses without assistance or B) Needs assistance to nurse ... is that really the more important issue? sometimes it depends on the calf so its not really a BIG factor in my book.

6) Does longevity of udder also play a role? For example if one bull's daughter have increasing udder problems at a younger age vs. a bull's daughters that maintain udder quality later in life. Or is this reflected in a Stayability EPD and as such redundant to this discussion. I like good uddered females to have good udders for long periods of time (atleast 6+ yrs).

I appreciate any insights.
Susan

Just my thoughts. Im not the next Star Lake Cattle Ranch so my standards could be a little down, but they work for me.

Latest posts