Udder & Milk Problem - 1st Calf Angus Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

tim-in-loomis

Reaction score
We have a 20 mo. 1st calf Angus heifer. She calved 30 days ago; easy birth. Calf suckled and has fed regularly for 1st three weeks. This week it seemed Momma stopped producing, as her udders have shrunk up and the calf is feeding off hay alot and has given up chasing Momma.

We are going to have a vet out next week. Any ideas on what may be wrong with Momma? She's getting alot of hay this past month. Do we need to supplement the calf w/replacement milk?

Thank you.

If you can get the calf to take a bottle, milk replacer sure as heck wouldn't hurt. The problem is...it is so hard to get a calf to take a nipple on a bottle after it's fed from it's mother.

Put out some calf manna and calf starter grower (dry feed). Mother cow will probably scarf it down, but the calf should also begin eating it and when the calf starts eating it, put the feed where the calf can get to it, but mother cow can't.

Alice

Didn't I just answer this on another board.......... :?::

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know that I would spend money on this cow for the vet. She should maybe just go down the road ~ you don't mention any injury or illness in regards to her so there is no reason she should have stopped milking. Yes, feed the calf milk replacer, at this stage though it may be a real rodeo. Those babies are little but they can surely work what they have. If calf is heifer, finish her or sell. Thats just my advice,,,

Here is yours BB338~ Its so interesting to see how different our answers are.

bigbull338
GURU

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:56 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sounds to me like the calf is sucking her when your not around.a month old calf will start eating some hay.but if your that worried about her have the vet check the calf.

Latest posts