udder issues

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I ran a cow in chute today and stripped her down to see what was going on . Can only get milk out of two teets . Is there anything else I can do . Calf born yesterday. The cow wants to mother good . Calf is sucking when he can. Anything esle I can do to help ?. ( I will never bottle feed anything again so thats not an option )

Are the other uddeer quarters full? If so the calf may very well break lose the plug in her teats. If they are empty the only things I can think of is ship them or keep them and hope the cow has enough milk to raise a calf. Then ship her

Thanks Dun yes she will be shipped regardless , the quarters do seem to be holding , the bag feels like muscle too me in places , don't think that's right , I got a couple hundred over kill price in her so I would like to get the calf raised up more

If she's been good in the past maybe she's just plugged and needs a milk needle to get things going? We had three in the shoot this past season and all worked out raising good calves. However, we're shipping 2 of the mama's. Good luck.

BobbyLummus1":1o5vzp1t said:
I ran a cow in chute today and stripped her down to see what was going on . Can only get milk out of two teets . Is there anything else I can do . Calf born yesterday. The cow wants to mother good . Calf is sucking when he can. Anything esle I can do to help ?. ( I will never bottle feed anything again so thats not an option )

Could be a simple case of udder congestion. It usually happens when an animal's is a good milker and her udder fills quickly. Is her udder hard? Hot compresses and a good massage with peppermint oil mixed with mineral oil is usually effective.

If it's just plugged and the calf has enough milk, the calf slobber and suck will free it up. If it's edema, the calf bonking on it will help it break up. It's not a big deal sticking a dilator in the teat, but it's bust to have someone show you. It's simple to do, but do it wrong and you can damage the interior of the teat.

Latest posts