Udder Attachment

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well it looks like the old girl has a problem. It wasn't apparent before her bag filled, and after freshening she was swollen enough that I didn't notice it. But now that she's got a more "normal" udder, it's quite apparent. The ligaments holding the udder up against the abdomen are pulled loose on the front right quarter. I had noticed that that quarter hung lower than the rest of the udder, but since she produces more milk in that quarter I didn't think much of it until I noticed the difference in the attachment from one side to the other.

What does this mean in terms of her useful life as a milker? She's a Jersey, approximately 6 years old, this is her third lactation, and she is currently producing 6 - 6 1/2 gallons of milk per day.

Ann

The main problem with udder attachments breaking down is the subsequent damage that can happen to the teats and the udder itself. The udder will have a tendency to get banged around more, as she walks and may eiher step on the udder or a teat as she stands up after laying down. Mostly by luck she could last for a number of years or just months or less depending on how bad the damage is. Best to not plan on the old girl being around for too long. If you breed her, find a bull that is known for exceptional udder quality and hope for a heifer. That being said, I've seen some really broken down udders in some dairy cows that will almost bring tears to your eyes, but the old girls just keep doing their job year after year. 6 is starting to get up there in years for an animal in a dairy herd. It is a damn tough life in even the best managed herds.

dunmovin farms

> Well it looks like the old girl
> has a problem. It wasn't apparent
> before her bag filled, and after
> freshening she was swollen enough
> that I didn't notice it. But now
> that she's got a more
> "normal" udder, it's
> quite apparent. The ligaments
> holding the udder up against the
> abdomen are pulled loose on the
> front right quarter. I had noticed