Udder and teat scoring beef cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, thats a good site. I do my own scoring method, combining the two.
Could someone with more knowledge explain the heritablity of this?
h2 of udder attachment =.2 to .3 and h2 of teat size =.5
I have always know they are just moderatly heritable. I would appreciate a clearer explaination.

Horseless":2g5nf0bm said:
Yes, thats a good site. I do my own scoring method, combining the two.
Could someone with more knowledge explain the heritablity of this?
h2 of udder attachment =.2 to .3 and h2 of teat size =.5
I have always know they are just moderatly heritable. I would appreciate a clearer explaination.

I believe this could be interpreted as udder attachment has 20% to 30% heritability and teat size has 50% heritability.

BTW, I agree with the above, this is a good site to keep handy.

OK, time for my example:
I kept 4 heifers from an old cow. These 4 heifers are a result of an embryo transplant. (This was a first for me.) This old cow had good teats & udder until she came up open on her 16 year. I used a sire that is suppose to have thrown excellent uddered daughters. Well one heifer had her calf and her teats are pretty big. 3 of the 4 heifers have calved, the other 2 have good udders and teats. If she ends up the only one with bad teats is that the 25% chance?

Now for the big question, do I keep any heifers from these (4) 2 year old heifers?

I sort of wonder about the heritabliity deal. We have a cow that as a second calver blew her udder out so bad that the rear quarters are only a foot off the ground. Her daughter after 4 calves has as pretty an udder as you could hope for.

Well I've had Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle for years, and this is what we generally see.

If you have a cow with bad teats / udder, no matter what you breed her to (bull, we use non-Brahman bulls) the resulting female will have improved teats / udder, generally resulting in being able to stay in the herd longer. The offspring out of THIS mating will be better yet, and generally able to stay in the herd without having to be culled for those issues.

If you're breeding Brahman influence to Brahman influence, the teat / udder issue seems to be intensified.. in other words, if both parents have that issue genetically, the offspring will be REALLY bad. The problem we've had using Brahman bulls has been that it's very hard to determine their propensity to pass that trait on, and it will take a while for you to determine it if you have to wait until the heifers out of the bull are mature.

Not scientific by any stretch.. just some real life observations!

Latest posts