udder and teat conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

Great subject that deserves more attention.

I went to look at a guy's small herd for prospective heifers based on certain desirable traits he'd mentioned. Saw the cows with ugly udders - low-hanging, sloppy things with big fat teats angled out the sides (no median suspension). Even saw one with an extra teat behind a front teat - I've never seen that before.

I figured the sloppy udders must have been old cows, but he said they were age five years.

Didn't bother to educate as he pretty much claimed to know it all.

So a question - the article mentions getting the udder scores for bull's dams. Who is doing that?

I was looking at a Pharo bull, Johnny B Good, whose dam is supposed to have a "perfect udder".
http://www.pharocattle.com/Semen-Source ... dangus.htm

Colorado Special is an ET calf out of a well-proven, perfect-uddered, 16-year old cow that we love (Johnny B Good's dam).

MichaelB":2huyfmt5 said:
Thanks for posting that, Alacowman. I had bookmarked that site before, but I need to digest the content. I wish it had photographs as well as diagrams so I could develop my eye.

Michael
did you click on the blue panels??? they show illustrations

Good diagrams. Sometimes I have not culled hard enough for a poor udder in the past and then get into a mess with the next calf. Are there any rules of thumb on when you will go from a poor udder to a blown udder?

Stocker Steve":zh2ons3j said:
Good diagrams. Sometimes I have not culled hard enough for a poor udder in the past and then get into a mess with the next calf. Are there any rules of thumb on when you will go from a poor udder to a blown udder?
lush spring grass and a spring calving season can take a toll on poor udder and teats, new born calves latch on too the smaller teats and hang out there for awhile meanwhile the bigger teats just get worse every year

If you have a cow with a udder score and teat score of say an 8 or 9 on her 2nd calf what would you expect it to be at on her 9th calf?

herfdog":2zrgyocx said:
If you have a cow with a udder score and teat score of say an 8 or 9 on her 2nd calf what would you expect it to be at on her 9th calf?
That can get tricky. Some udders will break down over time and others seem to maintain their strengths. Granny at 10 had about a 3 for udder and a 7 for teats. At 24 she still has about a 3 and a 7. We had one cow that had a 1 for both as a first calver, as a second calver she was about a 3 for teats and a 1 for udder with the rear of the udder haning a good 8 inches lower then the front. Her daughter is raising her 7th calf and has 5 for udder and 7 for teats.

dun":2ug8kvb1 said:
herfdog":2ug8kvb1 said:
That can get tricky. Some udders will break down over time and others seem to maintain their strengths. Granny at 10 had about a 3 for udder and a 7 for teats. At 24 she still has about a 3 and a 7. We had one cow that had a 1 for both as a first calver, as a second calver she was about a 3 for teats and a 1 for udder with the rear of the udder haning a good 8 inches lower then the front. Her daughter is raising her 7th calf and has 5 for udder and 7 for teats.

Sorry I mixed up the scoring. The scoring for Herefords is 9-1 the opposite that is what I was going off of. I should have went back in and looked at the link posted.
http://www.hereford.org/static/files/ud ... tsheet.pdf

herfdog":2syge28l said:
dun":2syge28l said:
herfdog":2syge28l said:

Sorry I mixed up the scoring. The scoring for Herefords is 9-1 the opposite that is what I was going off of. I should have went back in and looked at the link posted.
http://www.hereford.org/static/files/ud ... tsheet.pdf
I may have gotten the numbers screwed up too, old brains don;t do to well sometimes. Anyway the young co had a lovely udder as a first freshener and total junk as a second, here daughter has basicly the same udder today as she had as a heifer, very good

Latest posts