U S Cattle market vs the NCA

Help Support CattleToday:

Lee VanRoss

Reaction score
Checkoff money that we U. S. Beef producers pay does not go to promote exclusively U. S. beef. As crazy as it sounds it's true. So our own checkoff dollars are used to
help importers (as in non-US beef growers) keep our domestic prices lower by subsidizing foreign product. Then entities like the National Cattlemen that receive most
of the checkoff funds (that we US producers pay) lobby the U S Congress to kill marketing leverage tactics like Mandatory C. O. O, L. [Country of origin labeling] and the
50-14 cash market bill we so desparately need. What a vicious cycle the checkoff bill has created! The National Cattlemen Association engine is not running correctly
and it is time to overhaul the checkoff system. It is high time the NCA stop representing foreign cattle producers such as Argentina , Brazil and Canada with the
dollars they receive from us to be our agents.

If your checkoff funds are being used for lobbying then there is a serious problem.
By law; Checkoff funds cannot be used to influence government policy or action, including lobbying.

Lee VanRoss, importers also pay the checkoff. I think it is based on carcass equivalent. If you read the Beef Promotion Act that authorized the checkoff it says to promote beef. Most of what is imported is lean trim to mix with the fat trim off our grain fed carcasses. Ask your spouse which hamburger blend (lean to fat) they buy - 73/27, 80/20. 85/15 or 92/8. We do not produce enough of the lean trim in this country to satisfy the demand for the leaner hamburger that our American consumer is demanding.

Lee VanRoss, importers also pay the checkoff. I think it is based on carcass equivalent. If you read the Beef Promotion Act that authorized the checkoff it says to promote beef. Most of what is imported is lean trim to mix with the fat trim off our grain fed carcasses. Ask your spouse which hamburger blend (lean to fat) they buy - 73/27, 80/20. 85/15 or 92/8. We do not produce enough of the lean trim in this country to satisfy the demand for the leaner hamburger that our American consumer is demanding.
That's the story the NCBA tells, but to me that dog don't hunt. If it were a short supply thing then why do prices go as low as they do? My wife doesn't like to buy hamburger, she prefers our own well finished grain fed beef.

I know you I have run across you before.

Not sure if Silver was quoting Constitutional or Provincial law but I would question the veracity of the results.
BC may be correct about importers paying the checkoff but left out the part about them adding the charge to the product.
American producers can deduct the charge as a tax deduction (or loss item) but have no way to recoup.
Wondering how the foreign cattle growers manage to send only the bony meaty parts of a cow the US so we can get the
23-77 mix that the American homemaker craves so much.???????

According to the interwebs, the Beef Checkoff program was established as part of the 1985 Farm Bill.
The same interwebs when doing some googling says checkoff funds cannot be used to influence government policy or action, including lobbying.
That would lead me to believe the law was created with the 1985 farm bill. You are welcome to verify or discredit that as you choose.

I invite you to check out this series of webinars that North Dakota State, Texas A&M and West Virginia University put together (that is a pretty diverse group). There sessions on imports, ground beef, the checkoff, what our competing meats are doing and others. It was FREE. I will admit the lady from USDA on the checkoff was weak, but the rest of the seminars were excellent.

Latest posts