U.S. Border

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Rumor around the sale barns here is that our border will be open to Canadian beef in late march. Anyone hear any different? They are even starting petitions at sale barns to keep borders closed. Anyone have an educated quess as to what will happen to the market if the border does open?

Rod":3s3e6dq2 said:
Rumor around the sale barns here is that our border will be open to Canadian beef in late march. Anyone hear any different? They are even starting petitions at sale barns to keep borders closed. Anyone have an educated quess as to what will happen to the market if the border does open?

USDA says they will open the border March 7 to all meat from under thirty month cattle, under thirty month old fats and feeders-- Without any export market ( which we lost because of the Canadian origin BSE cow being found in Washington) the price for our cattle can only go one direction-- down...... With the US accepting Canadian beef the chances for our export markets to open go down....And we run the chance of losing domestic demand if our consumers lose confidence in beef since there is no method in affect to tell Canadian beef from US beef-- especially if 5-10-20 more BSE positive cows are found in Canada- which the statisticians predict will happen.......

SIGN THE PETITION............

Oldtimer":3v32dpcw said:
Rod":3v32dpcw said:

USDA says they will open the border March 7 to all meat from under thirty month cattle, under thirty month old fats and feeders-- Without any export market ( which we lost because of the Canadian origin BSE cow being found in Washington) the price for our cattle can only go one direction-- down...... With the US accepting Canadian beef the chances for our export markets to open go down....And we run the chance of losing domestic demand if our consumers lose confidence in beef since there is no method in affect to tell Canadian beef from US beef-- especially if 5-10-20 more BSE positive cows are found in Canada- which the statisticians predict will happen.......

SIGN THE PETITION............

And when you find your own homegrown case Oldtimer, Then what do you tell them.After all R-calf and your animal rights friends have told the press

Rod":2n9rgmzl said:
Maybe then theyll start a apetition to keep you from selling your cattle just to prop up prices for the big corporate outfits....protecting prices has no stopping point if you aint careful.
To answer the question about the "educated guess as to what will happen to the market if the border does open".........it dont take any education. Cattles the same as everthing else.....more cattle always has ment cheaper cattle...less cattle means higher cattle...thats the way its been all my life and no reason for it to change

What do you mean when Frenchie? They've had homegrown cases, they are just a little smarter than us about it, they keep it quiet. Our Premier had a US attitiude when he said "Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up". He got in some trouble for it but he has a good point. The animals that are being found with BSE aren't going into the food chain anyway so who cares??!! In Canada we are now doing our best to find BSE by testing only the old and sick. In the US I know of a vet that quietly disposes of animals that have BSE. That is the only reason Canada will have more cases than the US, our difference of handling the situation. Everyone knows we all have the same cattle, they have been going back and forth over the border for so long. You can't tell me that there is any difference between an Alberta cow and a Montana cow!
OK, I will get off my soapbox now and go take care of my cows. :p

Victoria":182fc93r said:
What do you mean when Frenchie? They've had homegrown cases, they are just a little smarter than us about it, they keep it quiet. Our Premier had a US attitiude when he said "Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up". He got in some trouble for it but he has a good point. The animals that are being found with BSE aren't going into the food chain anyway so who cares??!! In Canada we are now doing our best to find BSE by testing only the old and sick. In the US I know of a vet that quietly disposes of animals that have BSE. That is the only reason Canada will have more cases than the US, our difference of handling the situation. Everyone knows we all have the same cattle, they have been going back and forth over the border for so long. You can't tell me that there is any difference between an Alberta cow and a Montana cow!
Victoria
I see no prob with resuming trade with canada. That said I have a real problem with people that make statements as FACT that they have knowlage of people disposing of bse infected cattle. Outlandish statements like this have no place on any board let alone a cattle board by a fellow producer. If what you are saying is true, that makes you worse than the vet!!!!!!!!! By the way what type of ''test'' was this vet using to confirm bse in the cattle that were disposed of??
your concerned friend
mike

Victoria,
I'm sure our cattle are pretty much the same, but I think the point is that they are not necessarily fed the same.

How is the weather up there? We've been up around 80 for the last few days, but it dropped down to 50 over night. Supposed to get a little rain today or tomorrow.

Your Southern neighbor, Lane

Victoria":27q92tda said:

See, even they admit we are smarter that nthey are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scotty

I would like to apologize to everyone for my comment in this thread. I get so ticked off when I see comments like oldtimers because our cattle are pretty much the same and if we have BSE and are finding cases of it the law of averages says that either you currently are and/or will be. It is my understanding that our feed ban even went in shortly before yours. That isn't the point though, we should be working together on this thing and because I do believe that I should not have posted what I did and I am sorry I did. I would have been back to apologize earlier but couldn't find the post again. I could have spent more time trying though. :oops:

When I did post it though I really did not intend to do so to put down the US or the cattlemen in anyway. I can't understand why cows are tested that never did have a chance of making it into the food chain, it makes no sense to me, why not just test what we will eat??

When I said you were smarter than us, I didn't mean cattleman versus cattleman but that your government is smarter. I would take Bush over Martin anyday!

To answer your question Lane we are having gorgeous weather! I can not even believe how nice it is. 10 degrees Celsius. All the snow is melting and we can run around in sweatshirts. The cows are having no problems calving in this weather. Babies are up and running instead of huddiling in straw to keep warm. I just pray that this weather holds.

Hey Victoria, welcome to the very emotional portion of our industry, I think you need not ask forgiveness for expressing your opinion, after all it is your opinion, and you are intitled to it, right , wrong, good or bad. :roll:

It took a while for me to understand just how emotional this particulair subject is, and I can't blame anyone from either side of it for remaining upset.
the part that is truly bothering me about all this now is the false starts, meaning one day they will, the next day they won't., and that is simply not fair to anyone from either side of the border.

I just hope that our northern neighbors are getting some fair and just compensation for the losses being sustained now. And if the shoe happens to come on to the other foot, (US producers) I hope that we too, can be in some way be fairly compensated for losses as well.

I suspect this issue will rage on for some time to come, I can only hope for our norhtern neighbors that there is a silver lining somewhere in this dark cloud. :cboy:

I say go ahead and open the border. While we are at it, open it up to Canadian drugs too. If we are not going to question the safety of the meat why should we question the safety of the drug manaufacturer? Our price will drop and so will the cost of medicines. Seems fair.

BC":3cocz3zk said:
I say go ahead and open the border. While we are at it, open it up to Canadian drugs too. If we are not going to question the safety of the meat why should we question the safety of the drug manaufacturer? Our price will drop and so will the cost of medicines. Seems fair.

Great idea! But when do logic and politics go together?

Medic24, I agree with you the hardest thing is not knowing and being jerked around. How can any rancher (Canadian or American) figure out what to do in this environment? I wish the government would stop giving us small amounts of money that do absolutely nothing to help and do something constructive instead but I know that is asking to much. ;-)

Ryder, thanks. :)

I sold a bunch of cattle this past month with the knowledge that the border was to open, now i realize that this was my choice, and my chance, but I did it being fairy sure after being told that the border would open and the prices would fall for at least a little bit.

I realize that this is just the way the ball bounces, but had i known, maybe I would have held off a while. :x

Oh well, the money spends the same now as it will later on anyway. It all goes through our hands like water through a seive anyway. This winter's feed bill was getting a bit out of hand so this little bit early on put a :stop: to it.

Medic24, we're in a different position, bunch of old cows around here that should have gone long ago but we kept think the border has GOT to open sometime soon. :roll: At least God is blessing us with a great winter and even our old ladies are giving us some good calves.