U Bar Ranch Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

I spent the day at a couple of local bull sales: Anderson Charolais and Galpin Angus...Both sales were very soft compared to previous years..

Andersons have some nice quiet Charolais cattle (only one bull acting up) and even tho they brought in about 20 bulls less then normal years- their average was down...Averaging around $1950- on 44 bulls with 4 or 5 No Sales....

Bull sales locally are really soft so far this spring...All the local averages have been down...A person could pick up some good range bulls for $1500 or less....

Galpin Angus also has quiet cattle- and sold 20 bulls and 20 heifers with the bulls averaging around $1690...Top selling bull was a Dr. J Analyst son (mgs GDAR Traveler 044) that sold for $2600...The Analysts were the top selling sire group- altho personally I liked a Mytty In Focus son (mgs--Double Rito 525 EAR) that sold for $2250 and a GT Shear Force (mgs OCC Jules 790J) that only sold for $1250 better....

Heres the U Bar results- that was much weaker this year too..

Ubar Red Angus
Murray And Deanna Dighans & Family
5th Annual Red Angus Bull Production Auction
52 Bulls Avg. $1962
Top 10 Avg. $2970
Top Bull $4000

Lot 1--Ubar Hammel 8036 To Kelly Overmiller Of Smith Center, Ks $4000.00.
Sired By The $51,000 Top Seller In Last Years Sale--Ubar High Capacity 224.
A Moderate Framed Bull That Will Work For Heifers. 73# Birthweight.
His Pedigree Goes Back To Boot Jack, Buffalo Creek And Leachman.

Lot 34--Harr Heaven Sent 801. Sired By The Famous Ubar Grand Prix 102.
This Bull Is Square Made, Smooth And Has A Lot Of Depth And Capacity. $3600.00
To Long Time Customer Dun O'connor Of Poplar, Mt.

Lot 6-- Ubar Panther Pride 8011. $3500.00 To Justin Lauridson-Keenesburg, Co.
An 89# Birthweight Bull With A 107 Br; 104 Wr; And 101 Yr. This Bull Has Solid
Genetics Going Way Back On Both Sides.

Lot 7--Ubar Supreme 8062 Out Of A Basin Ext 5233 Sire. $3000.00 To Mitch Knaff
Of Glasgow, Mt. A Stout And Very Powerful Bull With A May 5 Birthdate. Weaned With
A 125 Ratio; Ww Epd Of 58 And Yw Epd Of 98.

Volume Buyers: Funk Ranch-Hinsdale 11 Bulls. Engstrom Ranch Of Glasgow 4 Bulls.
Buzz Williams Of Rye, Colorado With 4 Bulls.

Thanks for the U Bar sale report. I had expected prices to be soft at the OBI sale, too, but they held up pretty well for all breeds. Some parts of Oklahoma are getting rain; just not my part. :(

Frankie-- I wasn't at the U Bar sale-- but several folks I've talked to said that many of the bulls were pretty high headed and hot- and some came in the ring on the fight- and they thought that had a negative affect on the sale demand/prices...

With the average age of all cattle producers now closer to 60- more and more are doing a lot of their bull/cattle choosing on docility and calving ease...
When you're in your 50's and 60's playing cowboy- or pulling calves ain't as much fun as it once was.. ;-)