Tyson plans to automate

Help Support CattleToday:

In order to automate the processing of a cattle carcass they will demand uniformity and anything that doesn't fit the size requirements will be discounted by the packers. It's coming, be prepared.
Isn't it already here? Even without automation, packers don't want variation. That requires skilled labor, which has been out of their workforce for some time.

Simme, run for office with that as your platform and you have my vote!
Too old to run for office. If I did, I might turn bad like the majority do. Don't need that temptation. Problem with shipping out those who won't work is that the majority probably have citizenship. But we should be able to ship out those non-workers who do not have citizenship. But half the voters would disagree.

I would say that there is no shortage of people. (I think we actually have too many people.) But I do think there is a shortage of workers (people needing and willing to work). If they choose not to work, I would not consider them workers. If not for fairly recent immigrants, a lot of us might have to become vegetarians or eat more imported meat. Probably need some immigration reform that allows more working people in and ships out some non-working folks.
I have said for years we just need an exchange program at the border. We let one hard working immigrant in for a chance at the American dream and send one welfare recipient over to the other side to see what life is like in the real world and how good they have it here. I bet within 2 years of that cycle the immigrants coming in will be largely American born.

The next question is what do we do with all these useless azz people the machines replace?Idle hands are the devils playthings we already see it all the time.

It's especially difficult to find workers for hard labor or harsh conditions type of work, look at roofing crews and concrete workers. Not many born in America kids want those jobs.
We have a wholesale greenhouse that has historically employed a blend of men and women both young and old. In the past my most reliable (in terms of attendence and work output) employees were women between the ages of 35-50 and my most unreliable employees were any male under the age of 25.

It's especially difficult to find workers for hard labor or harsh conditions type of work, look at roofing crews and concrete workers. Not many born in America kids want those jobs.
I've been in concrete construction for 40 years, and up until my cancer episode I would out work all the new kids. It's tough to find good help.

I've been in concrete construction for 40 years, and up until my cancer episode I would out work all the new kids. It's tough to find good help.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."

G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

It was not always the case tho. The work ethics of days goneby dictated you start somewhere, worked hard, learned and progressed in your chosen field. Easy credit was part of the problem. Young people took on big car notes, bought all kinds of 'toys' on payment plans and a lifestyle that matched their parents and older relatives, and not that of their parents when parents were the younguns' age.
It became almost shameful for a young person to be in a blue collar job or to work 2 jobs. They wanted it all NOW!
Work, be patient and it will come?
"Ain't nobody got time for that shyt!"

Currently, a combination of a dislike for manual labor and a desire to get to the top of financial security as quickly as possible, or to be more accurate, to have the trappings and appearance of financial success. Too many young people want too much too soon with as little effort as possible and while there is nothing terribly wrong with that (we all 'want' it) reality dictates everyone has to start somewhere.

It was not always the case tho. The work ethics of days goneby dictated you start somewhere, worked hard, learned and progressed in your chosen field. Easy credit was part of the problem. Young people took on big car notes, bought all kinds of 'toys' on payment plans and a lifestyle that matched their parents and older relatives, and not that of their parents when parents were the younguns' age.
It became almost shameful for a young person to be in a blue collar job or to work 2 jobs. They wanted it all NOW!
Work, be patient and it will come?
"Ain't nobody got time for that shyt!"

Currently, a combination of a dislike for manual labor and a desire to get to the top of financial security as quickly as possible, or to be more accurate, to have the trappings and appearance of financial success. Too many young people want too much too soon with as little effort as possible and while there is nothing terribly wrong with that (we all 'want' it) reality dictates everyone has to start somewhere.
You really hit the nail on the head. It's not just about working for it. There's waiting for it to.

I

If you don't mind me asking. Have you had to shut down during your treatment or have your family/employees been able to keep things running?
I finished up the projects I had going before my treatments started and hooked up a local contractor with a plat of million $$ homes I couldn't finish. The first 2 weeks of treatment were random times until I got my "spot" locked in. Sometimes it was 6 hours round-trip to treatment and back and tough to schedule stuff so I just shutdown. Haven't had a paycheck in over 4 months can't wait to get back to work. The snow is mostly gone and I hope to work next week.

Easy credit was part of the problem. Young people took on big car notes, bought all kinds of 'toys' on payment plans and a lifestyle that matched their parents and older relatives, and not that of their parents when parents were the younguns' age.
Easy credit or low interest rates continue to be a part of the problem. The credit card companies send out pre-qualified offers to kids as soon as they graduate high school. They don't even care if the kid has a job, they get them hooked on credit as soon as they can, and many of those kids will be paying off that debt for the rest of their lives.