Typical Colorado Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl580

Reaction score
started raining here earlier this afternoon, then it started mixing with snow about 2 hrs ago, then it was all snow (only sticking to cars and a little bit of the dirt), now its back to part rain part snow. :roll: hope it heads to those who need it. not to say we don't, but only in moderation. we are just slightly beyond that as this is almost more moisture than we got all winter. :p

Hi Cowgirl, we're getting the rain now - must be coming from your direction and the snow will be here after bit. As long as it's not knee deep this time, I can deal. ;-) How much snow did you get out of the last storm?

hardly got any snow, melted as soon as it hit the ground. but between the rain and snow it made for some nice moisture, enought to get the grasses started anyway.

we see lots of elk around here. hunt elk in this area and deer. also some bear and mtn lion. the area i live in is a trophy buck area and i'm not too far from the trophy bull area. get lots and lots of hunters in come oct.

cowgirl580":3mg862ut said:
started raining here earlier this afternoon, then it started mixing with snow about 2 hrs ago, then it was all snow (only sticking to cars and a little bit of the dirt), now its back to part rain part snow. :roll: hope it heads to those who need it. not to say we don't, but only in moderation. we are just slightly beyond that as this is almost more moisture than we got all winter. :p
This must be one of your famous colorado lows you send us up here --Its sure raining and snowing now---Miserable--and I got to go put a new born calf inside

probably Carlos D. wouldn't want to keep it all to ourselves now would we? :lol: supposed to rain day after tomorrow for about 3 days straight. we'll see. probably snow again. :roll:

cowgirl580,

I was up in your beautiful state back last September Elk hunting during bow season. It was my first time there to Elk hunt. We did not do any good but saw some beautiful country.

We hunted one week near villiagrove in the San Louis valley just south of Silida then went down arround Bayfeild and hunted near Beaver Meadow's.

Do you hunt any yourself or does any of your family hunt ?

Send some of that this way please. We are already nearly 6 inches below normal for rainfall this year already. Had a drought last summer too. Not nearly as bad as out west, but bad enough. At least it's warm. Going to be around 80 tomorrow.

Stepper":205zexdi said:
cowgirl580,

I was up in your beautiful state back last September Elk hunting during bow season. It was my first time there to Elk hunt. We did not do any good but saw some beautiful country.

We hunted one week near villiagrove in the San Louis valley just south of Silida then went down arround Bayfeild and hunted near Beaver Meadow's.

Do you hunt any yourself or does any of your family hunt ?

i hunt elk and deer, mom hunts antelope and maybe deer, dad hunts elk, deer and antelope, brother hunts elk and deer, sisters never wanted to learn to shoot. i really enjoy hunting. there is some very pretty country around here. we are about 4-5 hours from the area you were in. i'm not too far from wyoming and utah.

yes. all cows. shot my first one at 14, i think i was. 13 or 14 anyway. put in for the Dec. cow and 3rd season buck this yr.

cowgirl580,

In your opinion, what would be the best way for someone who has never killed a elk to kill one ? I consider myself a pretty good hunter. But your country out West is alot different than here.

The fella that i went bow hunting with last September has been going to Colorado for alot of year's now. But i dont think he has killed very many elk. And to we took four wheeler's to hunt off of. I dont think that was a good idea. What do you think ? After going out there i think if i ever go back i will take mule's to hunt off of. And to we only hunted at about 10,000 feet. Everyone i meet who lived there said we needed to be hunting higher. Is that true ?

Hey also, we drove up to a trail head that had a bridge that looks alot like the one in your avtar. It was at Pidiera river. Have you ever tried hunting elk during bow season ?

forget 4 wheelers. your just giving them even more advance warning. which part of colorado for hunting? walking is the way to do it right. walk into where your going then find a good spot on the ridge or slope where your're not easily visible and hurry up and wait. there are a lot of ppl that come around that won't hunt more than 50 ft from their vehicles. :roll: moral of the story is, don't be afraid to walk and give yourself time to acclimate to the higher elevation.

Now when you say walk in to where you are going to hunt and find a slope or ridge where you are not easily visiable. You do get to that area by horse back or some way first dont you ?
Because i mean that country is so vast that you could walk for 2 or 3 hour's and never get to the top of a ridge or slope. From what i seen of Colorado it would really be hard to cover very much country by foot.

I have herd you mention that you have horse's. Do you ever use them to hunt off of ? And do you think that Northern Colorado is a better for hunting elk than Souther Colorado ? I was told that Craig Colorado was a good place to hunt elk.

I would really like to get started elk hunting. But being out of state is exspensive to say the least. And to the only way i can be sure to get a license right now is by bow hunting. You can still buy a over the counter license. But it was i think $ 490 last year. That is pretty exspensive exspecially when you add in your other cost travel, food etc......,

drive until we are fairly near where we are going and then walk. i've walked at least 10 miles in one day hiking in the back country. and there is almost always a road where you are going, at least around here. usually at the top of the ridge there is a well location. sometimes the elk even hang out around there. you can drive up on the elk sometimes, but you got to hit it just right. i'm no expert by any means, this has just been my experience/s.

cowgirl580":kfudyhwn said:
you can drive up on the elk sometimes, but you got to hit it just right. i'm no expert by any means, this has just been my experience/s.

:lol: :lol: I don't think that is the way you are supposed to hunt them!

1848":2wz8zhwi said:
cowgirl580":2wz8zhwi said:
you can drive up on the elk sometimes, but you got to hit it just right. i'm no expert by any means, this has just been my experience/s.

:lol: :lol: I don't think that is the way you are supposed to hunt them!

:lol: :lol: its not. but some ppl are just lazy. lol. i'd rather walk. get to see some pretty country plus get your workout for the next couple weeks. lol.

I will say one thing. You will diffinately get a work out when you go hiking in that country. One day while i was out there. I decided to hike to the top of this ridge. It did not look that far to the top. Well about 5 hour's later i wound up on top of the world. I found this stake driven into the ground that was put there by the forest service. And there was like a little rock shelter someone made using some rock,s. I noticed a bottle in it. And opened it up. And it had a bunch of elavations and names of ridge's on it. The name of the mountain that i was on was indian mountain. Other people who had made that journey to the top before me had written their name's and dates that they had been their and some added little stories of who they were and why they had been their. So i added my name and reason's for being there also. That was a really pretty veiw. I was on the contential divide.

I have always liked to hunt elk horseback. The sound of their walk doesn't seem to bother elk as much as humans. You always want to ask yourself before shooting a elk if you really want to pack him out from there. 4 trips unless you bone it or just build a fire and eat it right there. If you have a horse he can do the packing to. Some horses don't like the smell of blood and some wont let you shoot off of them but you can shoot off any horse once. Horses can sence the presence of elk to, you can watch there heads and tell right where they are through trees and everything. These methods work or you can just run them down in a pickup if you catch them on the flats. So I hear anyway. :D

Latest posts