types of worms found in cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

humken

Reaction score
We raise cattle, Angus and Holstein mainly. We have some of the catle in a cemented lot with corn stalk bedding and they are fed a mixture of High moisture corn and minerals. We recently have been finding some worms in the automatic waterers. They are approx. two inches long they look alot like baby earth worms. They are reddish in color and look round. One end looks thicker like an earth worm does. We have cleaned them out of the waterer three times now. It seems as though the cattle are regirgitating them maybe. Does anyone have any idea what they might be? We live in Northeast Iowa so i know they are not earth worms it's to cold. Please Help. Thanks Humken

Sounds like A) typical roundworms and B) You have a real significant perasite problem that needs addressing

Highly unlikely - virtually impossible - that they're coming from the cattle.
Probably 'bloodworms', the larval stage of a number of different midges, which lay their eggs in/on water. Kind of surprising that you'd be seeing them at this time of year - but maybe you just hadn't noticed them earlier.
http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms.htm

My first thought is redworms, or manure worms. They are a smaller earthworm that live in compost or manure piles, and can be kept warm by a pile that is composting. I ordered some to throw in my compost/manure pile to help break it down. I throw some compost in the chicken pens in the spring and let them pick out the worms.

Then the question is how they get in your waterer. My first thought would be a bird stopping by to get a drink after picking the worms out of a pile and regurgitated them. Birds regurgitate well as that's how many feed their young.

Parasite worms live in a cow's lower digestive tract so would be hard to regurgitate. If they came out the rear, you'd obviously see manure in the water.

Here's some photos of redworms/manure worms.
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4TSH ... CDAQsAQwAQ

I Ivomeced my cows yesterday, conditions have been perfect this year for them here. Moisture at the feeding areas with mild temperatures, increased stocking rate ( standing at the hay rack) no winter pasture due to drought.