types of structures used for shelter in cattle pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioRiver

Reaction score
Any ideas on where I can go get pictures online of shelters others have used in their pastures along with estimated construction costs and what type wind they can withstand.

Free. Been known to handle 75 mph wind. Sometimes bits fly off but they are also edible.

IMAG0129.jpg

For the most part the cows here have terrain and trees to deal with the wind and cold. Certain pastures have little valleys in them that they will gather in or leeward hill side.. Beyond that they have hedge trees to get in behind or whatever... For the most part unless it is really blowing it doesn't seem to affect the adult cows.. Calves can have troubles however which is why we moved our calving season into a slightly warmer time of year..

As far as cost opf planting a new windbreak, pretty cheap but takes a long, long time to get going good unless you use something like a poplar that won't last very long.

OhioRiver":1px0m8uh said:
Any ideas on where I can go get pictures online of shelters others have used in their pastures along with estimated construction costs and what type wind they can withstand.

We're in a pretty moderate climate. Our cattle don't have any shelters in the pasture. They'll maybe get behind trees or lay down in gullys to get out of the north wind in the winter. Summers they shade up under trees.

Most of our pastures have 12 x 12' loafing sheds. Couple others have larger sheds.

We use 6-8" dia used utility poles for corners. Then use pressure-treated yellow pine 2 x 6's and 2 x 4's for framing to hold the "galvalume" ribbed tin sheets.

You can see a variety of our sheds on our website. Just click on the photo galleries (we have several).

On the average, in our area, a 12 x 12' shed with sloping roof (8' to 7' high) is running between $800 and $1,000 for labor & materials. Two men can put one up in 8-9 hours (at least that's what ours around here do).

None of ours have sustained any damage even with 50-60 MPH periodic winds througout the year. Lot depends on direction of wind. I might add that on our 12 x 12 loafing sheds we do not run tin all the way up to top--leave about 6-12" air space to allow some of high winds to bleed through the structure: this also makes the shed a little cooler in summer. My guess is that our sheds might survive 60-80 mph winds???? Knock on wood!

Hope this helps!

Latest posts