Types of Cattle Supplemenation

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya its an oxymoron. DDG was what was brought up. I could of said WDG or MDG. IDK if everybody would know what I was talking about if I had said MDG, but using DDG everybody knows what Im talking about

Its been a long time since I have heard somebody talk about it, but soybeans and salt. IIRC you mixed either bean meal (plain or extruded) or just raw beans 50/50 with salt. It can be fed kinda free choice is what this old timer was telling me once. He developed bulls on it. The other guy there was using it as creep feed. Not sure what beans are this year vs. last year, but I know several guys tried it. Once again IDK if its economicly feasiable, but just a thought.

Beanmeal is thru the roof right now. Hi-Pro probably runs close to $15 a bag if you're buying it that way. Close to $500 a ton bulk. A lot of folks down here feed a mix of cottonseed meal and salt but a 50:50 mix is not going to give you much growth as they simply cannot eat enough of it to do any real good. It's used primarily in the winter time to supplement low quality hay which is pretty much a majority of the hay.

We were working calves, so it was kinda noisey. It might not of been 50/50. All I know is the one guy feed it in bunks to cows and calves. He calves in April & May. He sold first week of Dec and calves were 700# fresh. They are Charlois calves out of Char cows.

The other guy developed a couple of bulls. He is very, very scotchy...we will leave it at that. He was satisfied, and he said an old timer 30 years ago developed his Hereford bulls to sell this way. Thats all I know about it.

I kinda figured bean meal would be expensive. Up here I think it $14.XX/bu. Cash corn is like $7.40 & new crop is in the upper $6es, I don't think anything is going to be cheap this year. We have had several ethonal plants shut down for "prolonged seasonal maintnence"! That was back a month ago before corn shot back up again. Of course they could maybe see the weather pattern by then.

Latest posts