Type of fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Seven strand barb wire on perimeter. Six strand barb wire on interior & cross-fencing. Fence 5.5' high. Special pens for calving, foaling, other isolation are 5.5' pipe & sucker rod fence, each pen with loafing shed & water tank. Corral & chutes pipe & rod fence 6' high.

I forgot, single strand powered polywire for temp paddock fences. The calving lot is field fence with 2 strands of barb on top

dun

Running Arrow Bill":2tbqqv4v said:
Seven strand barb wire on perimeter. Six strand barb wire on interior & cross-fencing. Fence 5.5' high. Special pens for calving, foaling, other isolation are 5.5' pipe & sucker rod fence, each pen with loafing shed & water tank. Corral & chutes pipe & rod fence 6' high.

Bill,

If the longhorns quit paying the bills you can always raise Elk with fences like that.

Hillbilly

I also forgot those single strand polywire temporary fences. I don't know how I could forget them as they are really more important to the management of the pasture than the solid ones.
Hillbilly, those 6 or 7 strand barb wire wont even start to hold elk. The first two or three will jump it. About the fourth one in the herd will just run head long through it. I have watched them do it too many times. You hear wire stretching, staples popping out and post snapping. Then you get to go fix the fence after they are gone. The bad part is they will be back tomorrow or next week to tear it down again. I have gone to putting wire gates in the common elk crossings. If the cows aren't in the pasture I let the gates down to give them a place to pass through. Trouble is they don't always use the gate. Oh well, November is coming and I will get my revenge.
Dave

1 or 2 strand electric fence interior. I am slowly putting bobwire around the perimeter in the woods. I have discovered that 4 strands of gaucho barb wire stapled to trees will discouraged moose from going thru. The dam deer just jump it and then take out my electric fencing

HIgh tensile wire for almost everything.cattle ........ 3 wire for exterior. 1 wire for interior fence.

Sheep ......... 5 wire exterior, 3 wire interior and poly electranets. :)

Why do you have your fences so high? Do longhorns jump that high?

Running Arrow Bill":28grt2ou said:

Four wires of double-strand 12 1/2 guage barbed wire.

If there are bulls being contained in an area, we'll put in a ground rod and heat up the fence.

For the calving area, cement wire (welded 6" squares)as a perimeter and cross fence.

Take care.

cherokeeruby":iuh9rw7x said:
Why do you have your fences so high? Do longhorns jump that high?

Running Arrow Bill":iuh9rw7x said:

Our longest perimeter fence is about 1/2 - 3/4 mile and next to US 83, a very busy highway. Our back fence is next to a herd of about 80 X-bred commercial cattle on 160 acre pasture with bulls (we left the original old fence up on this side and put our new fence on our side of it). This is extra insurance.

Yes, Longhorns have been known to clear a four foot high fence. They will also romp and play and hop around in the pasture some times...lol.

Our insurance company loves us because we have taken extra effort to keep our TAME, mild-mannered Longhorns IN and other critters OUT. We also have 3 breeding age bulls with 3 separate female groups.

Yes, our fences may be overkill; however, I sleep VERY soundly at night!

Latest posts