Type of fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":3b53ll27 said:
I also forgot those single strand polywire temporary fences. I don't know how I could forget them as they are really more important to the management of the pasture than the solid ones.
Hillbilly, those 6 or 7 strand barb wire wont even start to hold elk. The first two or three will jump it. About the fourth one in the herd will just run head long through it. I have watched them do it too many times. You hear wire stretching, staples popping out and post snapping. Then you get to go fix the fence after they are gone. The bad part is they will be back tomorrow or next week to tear it down again. I have gone to putting wire gates in the common elk crossings. If the cows aren't in the pasture I let the gates down to give them a place to pass through. Trouble is they don't always use the gate. Oh well, November is coming and I will get my revenge.
Dave

Dave,
I was talkin bout Ozarks Elk, We cross them with goats 50/50 so they can live off our natural forage. They is only about 4 ft tall with a big potbelly.
Cant jump to good but they can climb!

Hillbilly

we have been putting up new fence for the last few weeks, 6 strands of barb wire with T posts ever 6 feet...we cheated and used the bucket on the tractor to help put the T posts in ;-)
our pens are pipe and cattle panels.....this winter we will start to repair/replace the fences on the north side

Arnold Ziffle":1nduu4m4 said:
6 strands and T-posts every 6 feet --- now that's going to be a fairly expensive fence! Not trying to be critical, but why did you feel you needed to go with a T post every 6 feet?

Agree why so many post. T post don't add any strength they just keep the wire seperated. If your worried about the cows feeding through the fence. Heat it up its cheaper.

well several reasons.....we hope not to do any work on it for sometime.... :D
and we are putting in a new bull, in the next few months and the old bull will be moving next door to the pasture next to us, and we would like to make sure they stay apart or the old bull don't want to come and visit any of his "ex-girls" in his old stomping grounds. ;-) we don't live at the farm, yet. we go every other day or so, unless there is calves coming, or someone needs doctoring, then its daily, we have a man that watches the cows for us, but we still go and see ourselves.
also i don't want nothing getting out, cuz i have worked dang to hard to get what we have be sued over someone hitting one of my animals that has got out of the pasture.

Getting sued over a cow getting out is what insurance was created for.

dun

Latest posts