Type of Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in New York and I want to breed my 50% Holstein, 25% Charolais, 25% Angus heifer calf when she is old enough to a purbred bull other than Angus. I am looking for an econmicly valuable well tempered calf with a large build, excellent growth potential and will retain some good milking potential and be a good mother ... if its female Do you have any idea what breed of bull would help me to get this type of calf out of this cross? Thank you

[email protected]

Limousin. Yes, there are some quirky ones, but on the whole, this breed starts small and GROWS... lean meat is the end product... good mothering... LOTS of milk.... without the breakdown in the bag that accompanies some of the dairy type cattle. Lots depends on how you handle the animals as to how they go. If you fight animals at the drop of the hat, then they learn to constantly be on the prod. Limousin... good calf, good mother, good meat.

[email protected]

With the mix you have there is already enough lean and carcass size. I would go with a "Good" Polled Hereford or a polled Shorthorn.

dunmovin farms

> I live in New York and I want to
> breed my 50% Holstein, 25%
> Charolais, 25% Angus heifer calf
> when she is old enough to a
> purbred bull other than Angus. I
> am looking for an econmicly
> valuable well tempered calf with a
> large build, excellent growth
> potential and will retain some
> good milking potential and be a
> good mother ... if its female Do
> you have any idea what breed of
> bull would help me to get this
> type of calf out of this cross?
> Thank you

I also live in New York. Sounds like your heifer may be rather large framed. You can pick any breed, but you need to watch the frame size & muscling. You can find a bull that is easy calving for a heifer, with complimentary size, muscle, and milk. I, personally, breed Simmental and there are many bulls all colors shapes & sizes to pick from. I would be glad to help you pick a bull, or show you our cattle to give you an idea of what to expect. I live in the Finger Lakes Region. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley</A>
> I live in New York and I want to
> breed my 50% Holstein, 25%
> Charolais, 25% Angus heifer calf
> when she is old enough to a
> purbred bull other than Angus. I
> am looking for an econmicly
> valuable well tempered calf with a
> large build, excellent growth
> potential and will retain some
> good milking potential and be a
> good mother ... if its female Do
> you have any idea what breed of
> bull would help me to get this
> type of calf out of this cross?
> Thank you

[email protected]

>

don't forget that the blood lines in Limis that had such bad calving problems have just about eliminated themselves! Darwinism works. Kidding aside, what size animals does your market want? I like Dunmovins answer but central Pa. likes em big so limi might be better than shorthorn. in NY Limousin. Yes, there are some
> quirky ones, but on the whole,
> this breed starts small and
> GROWS... lean meat is the end
> product... good mothering... LOTS
> of milk.... without the breakdown
> in the bag that accompanies some
> of the dairy type cattle. Lots
> depends on how you handle the
> animals as to how they go. If you
> fight animals at the drop of the
> hat, then they learn to constantly
> be on the prod. Limousin... good
> calf, good mother, good meat.

[email protected]

It will be about 3 months till I will have her bred. There is a farm nearby that has a few Holsteins and a few Herefords they do have a bull in the pasture that looks to be a polled Hereford he might be a possiblity.Jeanne, I would like any help you can offer me in picking a bull. I have considered a Simmental bull for her since she was very small; I have also considered AI for her. I have worked with cows (not mine) for 3 years but this is my first heifer (I bought and raised her). So I'm kind of picky about her. What do I need to watch about the frame size and muscling? What kinds of colors do Simmental come in besides the reds and blacks?

> I also live in New York. Sounds
> like your heifer may be rather
> large framed. You can pick any
> breed, but you need to watch the
> frame size & muscling. You can
> find a bull that is easy calving
> for a heifer, with complimentary
> size, muscle, and milk. I,
> personally, breed Simmental and
> there are many bulls all colors
> shapes & sizes to pick from. I
> would be glad to help you pick a
> bull, or show you our cattle to
> give you an idea of what to
> expect. I live in the Finger Lakes
> Region. Jeanne
> <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley</A>

[email protected]

I have a 4H heifer that is 1/2 gelbvieh, 1/4 Holstein, and 1/4 simmintal. And she is really a wonderful cow. She is an excellent mother, lots of milk, has a great temperament, never had a problem with calving, and has a decent amount of meat on her. I personally enjoy both simmintal and gelbvieh, worked for me! Jane

[email protected]

Rachel, First, before anyone advises you on a specific bull, just how SMALL is she? If she is extremely small, you want to use a small bull of a small breed. If she is average for her age, I can recommend some Simmental bulls depending on what AI services are available to you - Genex, ABS, Select Sire, etc. Simmental come in Black or Red. There are probably some old yellow and white ones available, or red and white. I would recommend a good solid red or black, because that's what the industry wants to buy. So we need to know about what frame size, body condition, and weight. Jeanne
> It will be about 3 months till I
> will have her bred. There is a
> farm nearby that has a few
> Holsteins and a few Herefords they
> do have a bull in the pasture that
> looks to be a polled Hereford he
> might be a possiblity.Jeanne, I
> would like any help you can offer
> me in picking a bull. I have
> considered a Simmental bull for
> her since she was very small; I
> have also considered AI for her. I
> have worked with cows (not mine)
> for 3 years but this is my first
> heifer (I bought and raised her).
> So I'm kind of picky about her.
> What do I need to watch about the
> frame size and muscling? What
> kinds of colors do Simmental come
> in besides the reds and blacks?

[email protected]

I don't have any other heifers of her age to compare her too therefore; I can't tell you if she is average for her age. She is 9 months and 2 weeks old. I'm not sure if I'm right but, I think her frame size is a 6. How do you determine frame size? Her body condition is about a 5 or 6. Her weight is around 650lbs. I'm using mostly beef charts and she is 50% Holstien. I don't know who handles AI around here. I live in Chautauqua county, New York.

> Rachel, First, before anyone
> advises you on a specific bull,
> just how SMALL is she? If she is
> extremely small, you want to use a
> small bull of a small breed. If
> she is average for her age, I can
> recommend some Simmental bulls
> depending on what AI services are
> available to you - Genex, ABS,
> Select Sire, etc. Simmental come
> in Black or Red. There are
> probably some old yellow and white
> ones available, or red and white.
> I would recommend a good solid red
> or black, because that's what the
> industry wants to buy. So we need
> to know about what frame size,
> body condition, and weight. Jeanne

[email protected]

Jeanne, I would like to see your cattle.

> I also live in New York. Sounds
> like your heifer may be rather
> large framed. You can pick any
> breed, but you need to watch the
> frame size & muscling. You can
> find a bull that is easy calving
> for a heifer, with complimentary
> size, muscle, and milk. I,
> personally, breed Simmental and
> there are many bulls all colors
> shapes & sizes to pick from. I
> would be glad to help you pick a
> bull, or show you our cattle to
> give you an idea of what to
> expect. I live in the Finger Lakes
> Region. Jeanne
> <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley</A>

[email protected]

The AI is provided by Select Sires. I went to a dairy farm and looked at some holstein 9 month old heifers. I compared them to my heifer she is a little bit shorter then them but, she looks much stockier and heavier. Her bag was much bigger as well, not thicker just more skin, her udders were slightly bigger too.

> Rachel, First, before anyone
> advises you on a specific bull,
> just how SMALL is she? If she is
> extremely small, you want to use a
> small bull of a small breed. If
> she is average for her age, I can
> recommend some Simmental bulls
> depending on what AI services are
> available to you - Genex, ABS,
> Select Sire, etc. Simmental come
> in Black or Red. There are
> probably some old yellow and white
> ones available, or red and white.
> I would recommend a good solid red
> or black, because that's what the
> industry wants to buy. So we need
> to know about what frame size,
> body condition, and weight. Jeanne

[email protected]

Rachel, You're welcome to come out anytime. We will be at Erie County Fair in Hamburg in August. Is that close to you? Jeanne
> Jeanne, I would like to see your
> cattle.

[email protected]

If she's only 9 mos. old why would you be breeding her at such a young age? We wait until they're 2 and then breed to an Angus or Limo for all 1st time heifers. Haven't had to pull any in 10 yrs. But, I'm prejudiced, out here in CA black always tops the Sales. Good luck, what ever you do.

[email protected]

> If she's only 9 mos. old why would
> you be breeding her at such a
> young age? We wait until they're 2
> and then breed to an Angus or Limo
> for all 1st time heifers. Haven't
> had to pull any in 10 yrs. But,
> I'm prejudiced, out here in CA
> black always tops the Sales. Good
> luck, what ever you do.

The Dairy I got her from already has her half sisters in with a bull. This is so they will calve at 18 months. I am going to breed her at 12 to 14 months old. This way she will give birth at 21 to 24 months old. I just wanted to gather info now so I am perpared when the time comes.

[email protected]

> Oh. O.K. Have you decided what
> you're going to breed her to? Or
> have you gathered so much
> information you're really
> undecided?

I'm leaning towards Simmental. Because they have a vast selection of good bulls that excell in many traits; including lots of milk, lean meat with moderate marbling, moderate puberty and, very high growth. I want to keep the milking ability in my cattle but I also want to increase her calves growth potental.

[email protected]

I'm not sure about all Holstein cross but the one I have gets extremely skinny after calving and stays skinny no matter how much we feed her, until we've weaned her calf. We early wean all her calves at 4 mos. whereas our beef cows wean their own at 7-8mos. And she only calves every other year. We keep her because she's a pet otherwise she'd have been sold.

[email protected]

Latest posts