Type of bits?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Ok, this horse board is about dead, so I decided to post a topic to liven things up a bit. How about bits? So what type of bits (including snaffel mouth pieces) or hackemores (bosals, mechanical hacks - etc.), gags, mulen mouths etc, does everybody use and for what reason and including what stages of training as most people will graduate to differnet levels? I myself usually train in a double bridle, I like to have the curb and the snaffle cause I feel pretty inefficient having one with out the other but If I had to choose only one bit I would pick a curb over all the other types of mouth pieces as most horses other than race horses respond and understand leverage type mouth pieces more than direct pressure mouth pieces such as snaffles when combined with inderect and neck rein type rein effects.

I grab a tom thumb if I don't know the horse. For starting a colt I use an egg-butt snaffle. When I had more riding to do, I progressed to a bosal, then did the two rein deal and wound up in a spade or other high port bit. Now that I only have one horse that's a keeper (and she works best in a Wonder bit -- of all things!), I re-start horses in a tom-thumb, maybe drop back to a snaffle, and go to a curb. My daughter has an App that does best in a mechanical hackamore. I plan on picking up a french link snaffle sometime when I'm in town and think of it. I'd like to give that a try.

I'd like to hear what others use, too.

It doesnt matter to me I use what ever fits the horse.I drive on lines all my colts.And drive them with a noseband.Most of ours are roped on and I want him to know what a rope around and under and between his leggs feels like and if I can get it under his tail.I want them to understand they can live with it and its not going to hurt them.I want them to find out now rather than when I start on them and have them for any reason get wrapped up in the rope and I guarantee it doesnt matter who you are it can happen.I want all that over with now not with me on them or with a calf on the end of a rope and tear up the whole place.
Ring bits are good to go to and I have some hand mades that have a slightly smaller and longer mouth piece and the metal is sweet iron ont stainless or somethoing else.Sweet iron will keep a horses mouth wet and it has a different tasat really does they will pick it up and hold it easier than stainless or just a steel mouth piece.
I have some hand made sidpull hackamours I use on all horses for a while.
A young horse untill they are around 5 or so are just like a child they cut teeth and their gums and mouth get soar just like a child.Get out of their mouth and on their nose for a while and let the mouth heel up when they start to shead teeth they will fight you some when they do it and yes it is a dental problem but its a natural one just let the teeth shead and let the mouth heel and they will be fine.You do need to have them checked to make sure one isnt coming in wrong just like people.
Then its what ever they need.We have won money in every thing from a side pull to a spade.I use for a while a curb strap not a chain.Horses today are more sensitive than ever before and many dont need that extra pressure at first.As the horse comes along you sure might have to change to something else.
And that is why if you do this a while you will have a big box full of equipment and may only use it on one horse and it doesnt fit anyother.
Remember one thing a bit or any other piece of equipment is only as good as the hands holding it.
Things to ponder.

Young horses are started in a rope noseband side-pull or bosal, then on to an o-ring or D-ring snaffle, then on to a curb. Years ago I use to raise donekys & saddle mules and trained them for western pleasure (show). They were started the same way. I ground drove them first before backing.

General riding they are ridden in a snaffle because they work well in it (and they neck rein with a snaffle). When we are showing the horses are worked (tuned up) with a curb due to show rules. My daughter's ranch gelding is usually worked in a short shanked curb bit.

I know that many people like Tom Thumb bits, however I don't. It didn't work for my horses and after reading this article I understood why.

http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/TroublewithTomThumb.htm

Any bit with shanks whether it is a solid, broken or correction (3 piece with port) is a curb bit.

I use a tom thumb on my 13yr old quarter horse mare. The tom thumb i use is my show bit. My other bit is a Tender Touch, which I use for gaming. But lately my everyday bit has been my tendertouch.

An little story about bits.I got my first horse when I was 8 and he was green broke at best and I knew very little about horses.One day I was lamenting to my mother how every time I climbed in the saddle he took off at a dead run for a tree with a low branch.There happened to be some painters in the house painting the kitchen and one of them a real old guy turned around and asked me a couple of questions I cant remember.The next day when he came to work he brought a curb and chain bit,helped me put it on the bridle and said try this.I never had trouble with that horse again! Turns out this guy as young man was in the U.S.Cavalry! Old Tonka lived to be 44 and I'm still here to tell about it!

Latest posts