Tying Up

Help Support CattleToday:

limi chick fitter":hj4u27no said:
my definition of a dead head= a cow that will never hold its head up, no matter how long you work with them, thats why they invented the show halters with the spikes on the chains.. duh! but of course my show can't afford those so i never used one. what do you call a dead head?

chris.. what? you have no idea how i handle my calves.. every calf is different, not all of them hold their head high. some calves are excitable then others, others are just plain lazy and will just stand there, head up or down.

I'm not surprised to hear from you that some of your calves are excitable, and some are just plain lazy.
It pains me every time I hear about people using spikes on the chains, or using tractors to break a calf to lead. For the most part, those are poor shortcuts to learning how to handle a cow. We have a Pure Gold granddaughter that exhibits the temperment traits famous for that lineage. Handled calmly and with confidence; she'll walk anywhere, anytime and through any distraction. I have no doubt if her breaking had been hurried with spiked chains or dragged with a tractor then she would have been hamburger before ever seeing her first show.

BTW, I also think there are some creatures who insist on their own way no matter what, those are the real deadheads; some might outgrow it when mature.

L Weir":2nqsthib said:
Is the 3 hours w/ head tied up in addition to being tied while eating, rinsing and brushing? We tie ours for these things plus maybe an hour after ward.
I wouldn't think being tied while eating would count, since their heads are loose during that time. Rinsing and brushing could be done with their heads tied high, although I find it hard to rinse when heads are high. Brushing & blowing is easier when their heads are high, since that should put them in the proper show stance and you can get the hair trained on their necks a bit easier.

Chris, I'm glad you posted before I had a chance to check the boards for a response.

Without a doubt your animals will respond to the methods used to train them. I've never used a tractor or spiked halter or any of those things (in fact haven't heard of a couple of them) and I've been very successful. It does take TIME and patience, and maybe in todays world, a quick fix is easier than taking time. But to each his own, of course. I've been able to get my calves to stand with their heads up with a show stick, but that's just worked well for me. And I show open, which of course doesn't take nearly the time that showing circuits does.

I still personally think that forcing a calf to stand for 3+ hours with it's head cranked up is cruel. Years ago I had a young lady offer to clip a couple of heifers for me, and when i go back to pick them up, she had them tied close and high. My fault for not telling her I didn't tie them like that at home.. but regardless, my black heifer would absolutely freak at a chain on a halter. And she is a sweet calf.. loves to be around people.

TheBullLady":56e5yzw3 said:
Chris, I'm glad you posted before I had a chance to check the boards for a response.

Without a doubt your animals will respond to the methods used to train them. I've never used a tractor or spiked halter or any of those things (in fact haven't heard of a couple of them) and I've been very successful. It does take TIME and patience, and maybe in todays world, a quick fix is easier than taking time. But to each his own, of course. I've been able to get my calves to stand with their heads up with a show stick, but that's just worked well for me. And I show open, which of course doesn't take nearly the time that showing circuits does.

I still personally think that forcing a calf to stand for 3+ hours with it's head cranked up is cruel. Years ago I had a young lady offer to clip a couple of heifers for me, and when i go back to pick them up, she had them tied close and high. My fault for not telling her I didn't tie them like that at home.. but regardless, my black heifer would absolutely freak at a chain on a halter. And she is a sweet calf.. loves to be around people.

Thanks BullLady. Personally, I don't have a problem working up to 3 hours standing. We've been at some shows that between the time getting ready, then showing, then coming back for division champs, then show champs, then pictures, the cattle are standing at least 3 hours. And, we do use the regular chains on the show halters. By the time we put on a show halter they aren't pulling hard on the halter. As far as sweet calves, we've got a sweety right now too. Unfortunately he's a bull, and I hate bulls being too friendly, but this 4 month old baby could practically be shown without a halter. Most of our calves will lead within a day of being introduced to a halter. I'm not saying they're ready to show, haha, but they will lead if you are patient.
A lot of the stuff good cattle handlers do looks like they have a gift. But, I've found 95% of their gift can be learned, you just have to be willing to learn.
Bull Lady, do you show Brahma's?

Chris H you said you don't like bulls to be too friendly, do you mind if I ask why? I have one that's pretty friendly, just wondering if there's a particular reason I don't want him to be.

lilcowgirl":34cj5fkw said:
Chris H you said you don't like bulls to be too friendly, do you mind if I ask why? I have one that's pretty friendly, just wondering if there's a particular reason I don't want him to be.

For exactly the reason Hippie Rancher gave. Bulls get a little more testy with age and the friendly rub can easily turn into a deadly butt. Most of our herdsires have been shown, with caution they can be approached and caught in the field. The friendly little calf is really cute but I'd rather he just stand still and let me approach him when I want to catch him.

i ment my SCHOOL can't afford them, missed that.

o and btw, i highly doubt you show better then me and um.. how do you know who i am?

chris.. i usually have my cows broke in one day, have never used a spiked chain or even used a tractor (?). only use rope halters, i highly dislike all the other ways of halter breaking. i've only had one that was a hard one to break, and that took a week.

fit2btied":110qgsn1 said:
Are you all telling the truth about your locations? I teach 7th and 8th graders in MO and I'd swear I have some of you in class! :)

Nope, ur wrong, they're in my class ;-) :)

Chris,

Yes.. I show Brahmans and Simmentals. Brahmans are a little different for halter breaking.. they are very "sensitive" for lack of a better word! But once you've gained their trust, they are amazing animals. I've never shown one that wasn't like a dog.. especially the bulls.

TheBullLady":84uwi6t8 said:
Chris,

Yes.. I show Brahmans and Simmentals. Brahmans are a little different for halter breaking.. they are very "sensitive" for lack of a better word! But once you've gained their trust, they are amazing animals. I've never shown one that wasn't like a dog.. especially the bulls.
I concur! I haven't met many Brahman show bulls in my life but the ones I have met have all been like dogs.

Latest posts