Two Year old Bull nursing Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We found our bull nursing from one of our young cows that had just calved in June.Also found him and the calf nursing this cow at the same time. And she just stands there and let him.Is this unusual? We haven't heard and seen this before. Please we need expert help form this board.

Get rid of the bull or the cow. If you get rid of the cow there is alwasy a chance that he'll just suck another cow.

dun

If it was me, unless he is REALLY something special, ship him right now.

But, if you feel the need to keep him, ring his nose with one of those sharp pointed rings.

Good luck, he will not quit as long as the cows will let him.

he is a beautiful black angus bull. Just got him in March and were are using him to service our cows. She is the only cow he is messing with that we have seen him do that to. But we are only weekenders. My friend that helps us also suggest putting a ring in his nose. But what will that do to the bull and his resale in a few years. I am hoping the cow possibly is in heat and possibly going into heat.

Send that bull to the great meat grinder in the sky as soon as you can, preferably yesterday! I had one years ago that did the same thing, to any number of cows that would let him. A baby calf has greatly reduced chances of amounting to anything, or even living, if his mom is getting sucked dry by a grown bull.

My friend that helps us also suggest putting a ring in his nose. But what will that do to the bull and his resale in a few years.

Put the spike ring in him and before you aell him simply replace it with a regular smooth nose ring.

guest":3mekaiqn said:
he is a beautiful black angus bull. Just got him in March and were are using him to service our cows. She is the only cow he is messing with that we have seen him do that to. But we are only weekenders. My friend that helps us also suggest putting a ring in his nose. But what will that do to the bull and his resale in a few years. I am hoping the cow possibly is in heat and possibly going into heat.

A ring won't do anything for the sucking problem. This is a behavoral(sp) problem and will only continue. If at 2 he's discovered he can suck and get away with it, it isn't something that you can break him of. If you separate him after breeding season, next year he'll just start doing it again. How much impact will that have on the calves that belong to the cows he's sucking.

dun

If you still need him for this breeding season you could separate the cow and calf and keep an eye on him to see if sucks any other cows. If he does i'd definitely ship him.

It's especially difficult if you're just "weekenders" as even if you take the cow he's nursing on now away, it may be days before you see if he's nursing any of the other cows.

Unfortunately there are cows that will let another animal nurse, especially if her own calf is also nursing. They get sneaky.. every one I've had would specifically wait until the cows own calf was nursing before they tried. I hate to say it, but you'll probably have to get rid of the bull.. I don't think it's something you'll be able to break him of.

:(
Well you guys I do have some thinking to do. I apppreciate all the expert advice. Because of the health of the calf and the cow is allowing this to happen it might be best to get another bull. How am I to know if he will do this again to another one like someone said. Financially I didn't want to spend the money,but I will make money also.I think since he has been in since March he has done his duty even with the one is is nursing.I think I will just reinvest and buy more cows or heifers.I will require a bull later.Possibly after the first of the year.

Thanks again

Latest posts