Two week old calf with hurt foot.

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this calfs foot from the time it was three days old. It does'nt seem to be getting better. I have treated it four times now the last time I gave it more LA-200 and I wrapped it in gauze and soaked down with Iodine and Coppertox, I can't see any outer damage,but I'm running out of ideals. Here's my Question, in this drought is it very likely for a baby calf to have foot rot. Also, I shaved around right above the hoof and it looked brused would that be the case if it in fact is foot rot? Or is it just some other type injury? How long should I leave that gauze on there? Thanks for the help. :bang:

Footrot doesn't require mud, more often than not a Zn deficiency is the culprit.

In your calf's case I think the foot likely got stepped on and will heal in time.

Are your sure it's not navel (joint) ill? Our very 1st one with this, we thought he had been stepped on.

ffamom":27bitui3 said:
Are your sure it's not navel (joint) ill? Our very 1st one with this, we thought he had been stepped on.

What is Navel (joint) ill? And how do you treat it? What are the signs of it.

Joint ill... joint infection in a young animal, often due to bacteria entering via the navel. Signs: lameness, swollen joint. Treated with aggressive antibiotics but I haven't been real successful at treating them.

milkmaid":2eucuzs3 said:
Joint ill... joint infection in a young animal, often due to bacteria entering via the navel. Signs: lameness, swollen joint. Treated with aggressive antibiotics but I haven't been real successful at treating them.
Thanks for the help. Does it normally go away on it's own?

Black and Good":4hzvsaop said:
milkmaid":4hzvsaop said:
Thanks for the help. Does it normally go away on it's own?
No, it is akin to blood poisoning.

We treated one earlier this summer. He is fine now, but we did get him injections twice daily for 7 days. Then, vet gave him Exceede or Exnel for the next 7 days. He was only a week old when he got it. His infection wasn't from his navel. Vet thinks he ingested it. He is doing great. I have pictures of the calf on her somewhere. Search nave/joint ill and your should find him.

Latest posts