Two Recent Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Calf on the Left: heifer, born 9/24, birth weight 70 pounds, Sire SS Angus Bull Composure, Dam Non-pedigree.
Calf on Right: bull, born 9/1, birth weight 105 pounds, Sire SS Angus Bull War Party, Dam A pedigree Simangus cow.

At time of photo the age difference was 3 weeks.

jzyw4g.jpg

2ewodmu.jpg

so8.jpg

redcowsrule33":3lnjg2a7 said:
It'll be fun to see how they look side by side at weaning.

It sure will. BTW: I was very happy with the size of the little heifer. Her dam is a heifer and I selected Composure because he is known for small calves.

Are you raising him up to sell as a herd bull? It sure looks nice in Ky this early Winter, Ron! You must not have had as much rain and freezing and thawing as we have up here. I am looking forward to a freeze this coming week....mud gets old quick! Show us some pics of your feeding area in late March or so...I have a couple of pads but the areas adjacent to the pads are a mess!

jasonleonard":5eej7120 said:
Are you raising him up to sell as a herd bull? It sure looks nice in Ky this early Winter, Ron! You must not have had as much rain and freezing and thawing as we have up here. I am looking forward to a freeze this coming week....mud gets old quick! Show us some pics of your feeding area in late March or so...I have a couple of pads but the areas adjacent to the pads are a mess!

Jason, I love that calf. I have never had a bovine on the farm in five years that has his personality. From birth, he enjoys being handled. He follows me in the pasture, craving contact. Kris, told me she would steer him. But I have a hard time with that. I just hate to take the guys nuts from him. :cry2:

I got to decide soon. I held off too long on Linus and it cost me about $500. They discount bulls here agressively!!!

BTW: December has been extremely mild here. But a wet November and December. I have seen a lot of slips on hillsides. I have steep land and with this kind of moisture, mass wasting is a problem. There is mud but I have a great setup. I never have to go off surface into mud all winter.

Ron, where did you sell Linus and how old was he? Here we have been leaving ours intact as bulls and haven't experienced that type of cut in price. Sometimes our bull calves will even out sell their steer counterparts. Horns here will affect you worse than the bull calf still being intact come sell time.

FlyingLSimmentals":3l4v97gn said:
Ron, where did you sell Linus and how old was he? Here we have been leaving ours intact as bulls and haven't experienced that type of cut in price. Sometimes our bull calves will even out sell their steer counterparts. Horns here will affect you worse than the bull calf still being intact come sell time.

Mike this is the facts and I can support it with the stockyard receipt. The day I sold Linus he weighted 770 pounds at 8 months old. He netted $885. I sold a steer that weighted 690 pounds at 7 months old for almost $1500. Flemingsburg stock sale. I called Mike who hauls for them and ask him what happened that I was discounted to that extreme. He said Linus did not have enough leg, had too much secondary sex characteristics and was too fat. He warned me to steer them if I had any doubts!!!

Come to think of it Ron, we had a really nice red bull that got discounted for buyer's gain this year as well, for some of the same reasons. If I recall right I think he weighed 695 and was sold in a 700 lb. pen for a nice discount for some happy buyer. He just looked to much like a bull. He would have made an excellent herd bull, but wasn't a purebred and was my dad's therefore we sold him. Biggest problem with him he gained weight so well that he got to large, expressing too many bull characteristics, before he got old enough to wean and go to market. Most of our feeder calves go to the market at 450 - 700 lbs. at 6 - 8 months old. We haven't seen much of a dock at all with the 400, 500, and light 600 pounders. Don't blame you for wanting to steer them, we've had some problems with it in the past and just decided to leave them all bulls.

Latest posts