Two old Aubrac cows

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have cows that are older than these two, but I still thought you guys might get a kick out of them. These are the two newest additions to our herd --- and --- they are the two oldest fullblood Aubrac cows in North America.

Suzette --- 15yrs old

Cassie --- 18yrs old

Cassie's dam is 100% related to the original Aubrac imports to North America from the early / mid 1970s. That's where she gets her lousy tail set. Not all of them had it, and it's not an issue with more modern genetics (fyi).

PS -- I wasn't able to get the pictures to load to the thread like normal -- sorry for only being able to load the clickable thumbnails.

I would have to say that Suzette is my favorite too. She looks like an exceptional cow; they both look amazing for their age. Thank you for sharing those! I hope that they both do really well for you!

Backbone Ranch":1696o0vb said:
I would have to say that Suzette is my favorite too. She looks like an exceptional cow; they both look amazing for their age. Thank you for sharing those! I hope that they both do really well for you!
+1 They look great! Are you going to flush them?

Next year, maybe.

I'm in the middle of a big embryo deal with a client / partner ... I want to see how that goes first before deciding to flush anyone else.

As a part of the deal to get Suzette, we also got 19 Suzette embryos... I expect we will be using those in the not too distant future.

They're both pretty tremendous (to me).

You're always welcome to drop by, say hi, and take a look for yourself.

What are their frame scores and weights? I know some people believe in keeping the herd young for faster improvements but i dont believe you really know what you got in a cow till you see how long it stays in the herd (and not free loading) and why wouldn't you want to keep them as long as possible with the first part of their lives being the most expensive

I like Suzette as well :)
I also like old cows.. as long as they're productive they can stay around.. There are some cows I have that go on a cull list early, and it might take me a few years to get around to it.. those that are just rather average and really have nothing to offer.

ez14":1gr290ct said:
What are their frame scores and weights? I know some people believe in keeping the herd young for faster improvements but i dont believe you really know what you got in a cow till you see how long it stays in the herd (and not free loading) and why wouldn't you want to keep them as long as possible with the first part of their lives being the most expensive

When we did health papers on them, we got weights but not hip heights -- so I can only guess on frame score based on sizing them up to the cattle we do have hip heights on ... so, here goes nothing:

Suzette = FS 4.0 to 4.5, weight 1405 lbs
Cassie = FS 4.5 to 5.5 (she was moving around a bit more than Suzette), weight 1500 lbs

Like most other Aubracs, these two are thick and densely made. They're in very good flesh as they came to us out of an embryo program; I'm sure that once they're in their working clothes, they'll run 100lbs or so lighter.

Cassie's rump is easily 2" wider than Suzette and her rump muscle attaches very low on her rear quarter. Suzette is definitely more sylish.

Thanks for the well-wishes -- I hope they work out well for us, too!

To nice looking cows, the tailhead of Cassie could partly be due to her being flushed often

Cows that was flushed multiple times often get the creeping of the tailhead, heavier brisket and neck, etc as a result of the hormones for superovulation. I can't really give you a scientific explanation, just what I and a few others have observed over the years.

ez14 said:

This is one of the best quotes on the Cattle Today forum in many weeks. So true ez14...we really don't know which cows are the good ones until they have stayed around for 10+ years and given us a good calf every year.

A year ago an Angus breeder that puts heavy emphasis on carcass traits commented that he was selling a top cow in an upcoming sale. This cow had produced a bull calf that is now at a major A.I. stud. When I asked him if it was hard to sell her knowing that she was relatively young and could potentially have several more excellent calves, he said no. In his opinion the coming calf crop of heifers should be superior to his current cow herd and so he had no problem selling young productive cows. He was referring primarily to their EPDs as his criteria as to which animals are superior.

I use EPDs in making selection and breeding decisions. They are very good tools, but they are not perfect. Further more, we don't have EPDs for many important traits like structure, teat and udder confirmation, etc. Too many of my better EPD females haven't stayed in the herd for long simply because they didn't breed back, had poor feet, or horrible teats.

Without quoting your entire post, UG, I think there will be many producers who made cull / keep decisions by looking at a sheet of paper, who, in 5-15 years, will stop and look at their herd and wonder what happened ...

Over the last couple of years, I've developed some rules to apply to help decide when it's time to cull / keep old cows. These rules balance the scarce resources of the pasture (can't keep them all), the benefits of generational turnover, and the value of old genetics. In fact, I'm pretty excited about these steps and think that in a decade or two, my family and clients will as well.

I agree with you both.

WalnutCrest":g3zw3nx0 said:
Without quoting your entire post, UG, I think there will be many producers who made cull / keep decisions by looking at a sheet of paper, who, in 5-15 years, will stop and look at their herd and wonder what happened ...

Over the last couple of years, I've developed some rules to apply to help decide when it's time to cull / keep old cows. These rules balance the scarce resources of the pasture (can't keep them all), the benefits of generational turnover, and the value of old genetics. In fact, I'm pretty excited about these steps and think that in a decade or two, my family and clients will as well.

I agree with you both.
Please elaborate.

Generational turnover is totally overrated unless you've just started out and still need to get to the type you want.

Short answer -- in the US there are economic reasons to sell younger cows as their value starts to drop around their 5th or 6th birthday ... so, you're better off to sell some before then ... some operations sell all. The trick is, if you're going to sell some, which ones are you going to keep? Find rules that fit your program and priorities, and then do that.

LMK if you want to long answer about how this applies to me ...

WalnutCrest":1ctx07qr said:
Short answer -- in the US there are economic reasons to sell younger cows as their value starts to drop around their 5th or 6th birthday
it may only applies to commercial folks and seedstock folks but I see no reason to sell a 5 years old cow of a niche breed.

KNERSIE":1iblijb2 said:
Give the long answer please

Sorry for the delayed response -- been a busy couple of days --

Before getting into the actual way we've decided to determine which old cows get to stick around and which ones don't, I feel like it's worthwhile for me to run you through our annual calendar ... once I've done that, I'll have a section at the very end that addresses your specific question.

As it relates to the calendar below, know that the start / end of the calendar may move up / back over time as I continue to feel out the best fit for my family's schedule in any given year. Also, in any year where we're dealing with a large embryo project (harvesting or implanting), it'll throw the calendar off a bit for some of the cows/bulls and so any female that's impacted by missing a date is given some reasonable leeway in order to catch back up.

The best way for me to explain this, I think, is to start with a calendar in a 'normal year' (i.e., no embryo projects are going on) with several to-do's and an explanation of the calendar's to-do's below that:

Feb 1st -- bulls (and sometimes any retained steers, too) are pulled from herd of bred cows and heifers and penned (until May 1st for some and June 1st for others (see below for details / logic)); all of the 2nd timers are moved up closer to the house until all have calved, then once they've calved, each pair goes back out with the bred cows

Feb 7th -- 2nd timers start calving (i.e., this is when cows who are going to have their 2nd calf start calving)

March 17th -- heifers are moved up to the house and are kicked out to pasture once they've calved

March 24th -- heifers and mature cows start calving

May 1st -- bulls go in with 1st timers (i.e., the young cows who just had their 1st calf) (see below for reasoning)

June 1st -- any cow or heifer (confirmed bred the prior fall) that hasn't calved by this date is getting shipped; there are a few different ways this goes for the female (see below for details) ... the later the calf comes, the more likely that she is gone the next year ... but, maybe she catches up ...

June 15th -- Mature cows (2nd calf and older) who calved before May 1st are candidates for AI, as are first time heifers (if any were retained the prior year), the bulls not currently in with the 2nd timers go in with cows, and heifers are added to the group with the 2nd timers

Oct 30th -- determine carrying capacity for the next year

Oct 31st (day) -- (i) preg check and grade the opens (see below), (ii) temperament test all calves and cows, (iii) cows weighed and hip heights taken, (iv) calves weighed and hip heights taken

Oct 31st (night) -- (i) calculate Maturity % (see below) of all calves and cows/heifers younger than 4yrs of age, (ii) calculate WW % for all females, and (iii) make all cull / keep decisions to be implemented the following day

Nov 1st -- (i) retag all cull cows/heifers/steers w/ different color tag, (ii) cut bull calves who will not be developed as bulls, (iii) wean calves, and (iv) ensure all bulls are removed from having access to weaned heifers and to-be-culled cows

RE: Feb 7th -- not a big fan of starting to calve 2nd timers in the middle of the winter, but I'd rather do this for a smaller group of females than to deal with bulls going in in late July or August

RE: May 1st --- bulls go in with heifers calving their first calf so we can calculate calving interval between first and second calf --- we believe that while EPDs will tell us that fertility is only moderately heritable, that actually trying to press the issue by turning bulls in with the 1st timers (who hope to become 2nd timers) approximately 30 days after the first heifer to calve calves will allow us to know which heifers are most fertile and most adapted to our management and environment.

RE: June 15th -- if calving after this date, these cows / heifers just got bred too late for us; official start to the breeding season will give us calves that hit the ground around March 24th.

RE: Oct 30th -- once we determine what our carrying capacity is for the coming year, we know how strict to be on our keep / sell / cull decisions with all classes within the herd

RE: Oct 31st -- a big day, to be sure -- a day to write down lots of information, all of which will be analyzed that night so that the next day these decisions can be implemented -- we monitor cow size (weight and hip height) at this point mainly for tracking progress and their growth curve throughout their lives -- we track calf size (weight and hip height) in order to calculate the Maturity % referenced above. This calculation is described in Johann Zeitsman's book Man, Cattle, Veld. Generally, the idea behind that single calculation is that it allows a producer to determine which of the cattle are arriving at their sexual maturity more quickly than another and it also allows a producer to determine which cattle are more adapted to their management and environment than another. This score (along with temperament and the dam's fertility score (calving interval between 1st and 2nd calf) are key parts of determining keep / sell / cull decisions for the calves. Essentially, the calculation described in JZ's book is extrapolating a calf's hip height using the standard UMissouri Frame Score Chart in order to determine how tall the calf should be as a mature adult, and then determine what percentage of that weight the calf is now, where the higher that percentage, the more adapted and more mature one animal is to another (heifers and bull calves are scored and ranked separately and only among their contemporary group; their scores don't transfer over very well to compare a bull born one year to a bull born another year, or to compare my calves to someone elses calves born somewhere else -- it's only for contemporary group scoring).

RE: Nov 1st -- cattle that will be culled get a new tag color so that it's easy to figure out who is going and who is staying when sorting later on as we typically process beeves 2-4 times a year -- bull calves out of cows with lower fertility scores are cut, bull calves with temperament issues are cut, bull calves with low Maturity % scores are cut -- heifers with low Maturity % scores are culled -- all bulls stay with confirmed bred cows until right before the first calves start coming in February. The cut-off point for each cull / keep decision can vary from year to year, depending on whether or not I want to increase the cow herd, make it younger, and whether or not I have orders for bred/open cows/heifers, bulls, etc.

Late calving cows and heifers are classified in one of five ways, and depending on the quality and size of our heifer crop for that year, the stocking rate we think we can handle for the coming year, we may keep none / some / all of any of the cows in any of these four groups. Classification System for Opens at Preg Checking:

a -- not currently in calf & calved prior to June 15th -- these are the first to go, generally to the butcher for ourselves or our beef-buying clients (we have a waiting list for old Aubrac cow beef, believe it or not)
b -- not currently in calf & calved after June 15th -- these are the next ones to go; if they have a calf at their side (b/c they calved late), they're sold as a pair to someone who calves in the fall, or the calf is weaned and the cow is culled / eaten
c -- currently bred, but no calf to wean because the cow sloughed the calf at some point after being preg checked the previous year -- these are the next to go
d -- currently bred, but no calf to wean because the calf died within the first week of life -- these are the next group to go
e -- currently bred, but no calf to wean because it died some time after the first week but before weaning time -- these are the last to get culled (i.e., we kept a good recip another year even though her heifer calf died before weaning; hard to hold a lightening strike against mama when the calf was already almost 5 months old)

Once a cow falls into one of these five buckets, we will never again keep or sell any of her sons as bulls. Most years, all females in all five buckets are gone, however, we try to distinguish the nature of the open status in the event that (for example, we had only a very few heifers born the prior year, or we got a large new lease on some pasture and want to try to grow the herd, etc.).

Keeping old cows vs. young cows

When calculating the Maturity % (above) as laid out in JZ's book, each cull / sell / keep decision is made based on how each calf ranks in the entire contemporary group of calves ... AND ... how each calf ranks in each contemporary group based on their dams' age.

So, for ease of analysis, say we have 100 bull calves and we're able to calculate the Maturity % for each. They're ranked 1-100 on a stand-alone basis ... and ... their maturity scores are normalized (to get a score of 0-100).

Then, say we have 10 bull calves out of first time heifers; these are ranked from 1-10 ... and ... their Maturity %'s are normalized (to get a score of 0-100).

And, maybe we have 10 bull calves out of 2nd timers; these too are ranked from 1-10 and their scores are normalized.

And, we have (say) 50 bull calves out of cows from 4 years of age to 8 years of age; these are ranked from 1-50 and their scores are normalized.

And, we have 20 bull calves out of cows from 9 - 12 years of age; these are ranked and normalized.

And, finally, we have 10 bull calves out of cows older than 12; these are ranked and normalized.

... then ... the normalized scores across all 100 bull calves are averaged with the normalized scores from within their dam's age group and then they are re-ranked based on the average of the normalized scores ... this allows (say) the #1 bull out of a cow older than 12 to have their Maturity % score to be more easily compared to the (potentially) higher scoring (on an absolute basis) bull calf out of a young 5yr old cow. It's a way to level the playing field for the bull calves a bit. Depending on the needs for retaining bulls for our own use, and for filling client demand, we'll start cutting bulls at the bottom of the list and work up until there aren't any more bulls needing cut.

... AND ... we will then take the normalized Maturity % for a cow's last 2, 3 and 5 calves and average them together to get a trend-line for each cow. If we're looking for additional reasons to cull a currently bred cow, they'd be as follows:

* Average of the normalized scores for her last two calves is in the bottom 10% of her then-current contemporary group, she's a candidate for culling
* Average of the normalized scores for her last three calves is in the bottom 25% of her then-current contemporary group, she's a candidate for culling
* Average of the normalized scores for her last five calves is in the bottom half of her then-current contemporary group, she's a candidate for culling

I think this allows truly excellent older cows to stick around as long as they're still carrying their weight within the herd and within their contemporary group -- normalizing the score in this way is a relatively easy way to compare the productivity of an old cow to a young cow. IMO.

ALSO --- Generally speaking, only the cows that had a great 1st-to-2nd-calf calving interval and who also are in the very top of their contemporary group for Maturity % are candidates for our donor program. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

NOTE --- I'm really happy to consider improving what I'm doing here, should anyone really care to discuss this and/or offer actual suggestions for doing so. TIA.