Two of my Heifers pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a newbie who has been here a few weeks and thought I would post a couple of pictures of my heifers for your critique. I have 16 heifers. They were purchased from the sale barn in December, and I don't know their exact age, but believe the herd is 8-10 months old. There are two pictures of red and one of a random Angus. What do you think? Do they look healthy? (I probably seem like a newbie at photography too :lol: )

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_03201.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

Thanks. With 128 views and only two replies, I was thinking I had either posted this in the wrong place, or they looked so bad that nobody wanted to comment.

I hope you are planning on breeding them to something pretty powerful with a ton of muscle.

herofan":3om3umss said:
3waycross":3om3umss said:
I hope you are planning on breeding them to something pretty powerful with a ton of muscle.

Why do you say that?

Although they look healthy, they are certainly not good beefy specimens. That doesn't mean they won't make productive cows, they just need the right kind of bull.

KNERSIE":18ccoxui said:
herofan":18ccoxui said:
3waycross":18ccoxui said:

Why do you say that?

Although they look healthy, they are certainly not good beefy specimens. That doesn't mean they won't make productive cows, they just need the right kind of bull.

Interesting. They are beef cows, so what is it about them that is not a good beef specimen? What can i do to change that?

They are very light muscled, very light boned, the red one has very little spring of rib, not nearly enough depth or capacity and has a reverse wedge. The black one is overall the better one, more depth, more capacity, weak loin and no muscle.

Not much you can do about their faults, but correct them on their calves by using a really good bull strong in all the areas these heifers need help in.

3waycross":3hqc9ws2 said:

I have looked a many replies on many different, "opinion on my animal" type post. Over the last months this forum has turned from hard nose tear them apart opinions to sticking sweet, blow smoke up their..... Statements. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone, just saying it's refreshing to see 3way and Knersie with honest on spot opinions, not just "what a pretty cow".

Herofan, while your heifers are okay as you learn more about cattle your eye will develope. Knersie pretty much nailed it as he always does. Do a search of he many post, but try to find some of the pics of his Herefords, notice the depth of body as well as the width. The amount of muscle they have, the thickness of leg bones to support all the added muscle.

IMO, 3way and Knersie have giving some very sound advice

Welcome to CT and have a thick skin.
Alan

Alan":30ov5dec said:
3waycross":30ov5dec said:

I have looked a many replies on many different, "opinion on my animal" type post. Over the last months this forum has turned from hard nose tear them apart opinions to sticking sweet, blow smoke up their..... Statements. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone, just saying it's refreshing to see 3way and Knersie with honest on spot opinions, not just "what a pretty cow".

Herofan, while your heifers are okay as you learn more about cattle your eye will develope. Knersie pretty much nailed it as he always does. Do a search of he many post, but try to find some of the pics of his Herefords, notice the depth of body as well as the width. The amount of muscle they have, the thickness of leg bones to support all the added muscle.

IMO, 3way and Knersie have giving some very sound advice

Welcome to CT and have a thick skin.
Alan

Oh, i am very thick skinned, and i asked for the opinion, so I can't be upset. I have no idea what most of it meant, but I was curious as to how opinions here would compare to opinions from local farmers I have spoken with. I put these pictures up because I thought they were the best of my herd. I won't bother showing the ones i think are not my best. :lol: These gals came from the sale barn and that's where their calves will go.

In the area where I live, just about everybody who has a few acres has some cows, but very few do it it for a living, so i guess people here don't strive to produce the perfect animal like those who have huge operations and do it for a living. I actually had some local farmers tell me they were great looking heifers.

I'll check out Knersie's pictures. Aside from that, Is there a site that shows a picture of a cow and describes the preferred characteristics of a good beef cow?

Here you go, lots of sites to search, but these are some very good looking Hereford bulls about 8 months old. Good stock from a well respected breeder that posts here. BTW most here do not make a living from cattle. Most, like me, work to support my cattle (Hereford) habit. :D

Alan

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77655

SSGenetics":1b9o968p said:
herofan":1b9o968p said:
Interesting. They are beef cows, so what is it about them that is not a good beef specimen? What can i do to change that?

Purchase better cattle, if you can. :2cents:

They're pretty fixable, if he does a few things right! The first thing i would do is AI. That's a giant leap forward if done right!

KNERSIE":26vm0gb6 said:
They are very light muscled, very light boned, the red one has very little spring of rib, not nearly enough depth or capacity and has a reverse wedge. The black one is overall the better one, more depth, more capacity, weak loin and no muscle.

Not much you can do about their faults, but correct them on their calves by using a really good bull strong in all the areas these heifers need help in.

These heifers still have some growing to do. Can any of these deficiencies improve as they mature, or is what you mention what they are stuck with for life?

They're not going to improve much, contrary to popular believe you can see the genetic potential to muscle up without the animal being in show bloom or mature. I wouldn't go and sell them all, address their problems with the right bull. Look at it this way... the money you've saved by being cheap heifers, you can spend more on a top quality bull.

Latest posts