Two cows down

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I have a small herd of registered Texas Longhorn Cattle. Went out two days ago and found one cow down, struggling to get up. She appeared slightly bloated. We attempted to get her up on her sternum but she died while we were working with her. She was a 7 year old bred cow. Came out this morning and found a 5 year old bred cow dead. I saw her last night at the hay ring feeding. She was laying next to it when I found her this morning. Called the vet out and he performed a necropsy (sp) on her. He did not see anything unusual during the exam, and took several samples to send to A & M for testing. Both of these cows were down on their weight, but not in bad shape. They have been eating the same hay for the last couple of months, and everyone has been eating fine. The vet suggest Lepto may be the cause but after reading about it I'm not so sure. Anyone have experience like this?

Sorry for your loss. Do you vaccinate for Lepto? The unthirftiness is a sign of it, but surely a lot of other possibilities with weight loss.
I would still have to be questioning the hay even if you have been feeding the same for some time.
Do you make your own hay? Reason I ask, I mow different locations, some are just old pastures so content of each bale is not always the same. I wish you luck.

fitz

Got the pathology report back...the liver tested positive for red water disease, ie bacteria Clostridium haemolyticum. Cow was allegedly vaccinated for Lepto a little over a year ago when I bought the cow. I'm in the process not of vaccinating everyone else in the herd.

Sorry for you about losing the cows, but glad you had the lab work done and are taking steps to prevent problems in the future!

Latest posts