Two angus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Their EPDs say they are fairly moderate sized cattle. Probably not low input type cattle, but I don't see where they would require a feed truck to keep their daughters going. I would speculate that they would add marbling to Lithuanian Farmer's herd, though based on what little I know about the European/Baltic cattle industry (almost nothing), marbling does not seem to be an area of emphasis. I like Conviction's EPD profile better across the board, but don't care much for his head shape. I doubt I would use either one here.

How about one of these from abs. I've heard good things about sitz stellar too. I haven't tried any of them myself. Sampled diesel from abs this year.

Attachments

• 8AD9C5E0-B47E-4C41-8B37-312F1D000BDF.jpeg
    8AD9C5E0-B47E-4C41-8B37-312F1D000BDF.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 20
I would pass on either of the bulls until I learned more about the breeder.

if this farm cheated I sure wouldn't support them by purchasing semen and certificates. There are to many honest breeders in the industry that you can do business with.

How about one of these from abs. I've heard good things about sitz stellar too. I haven't tried any of them myself. Sampled diesel from abs this year.
We sampled True North this year. His milk EPD is too high for here, but his $EN is surprisingly moderate. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the other calves.

I hate that you can't buy semen based on the animal , have to dig into owner reputation too.
No digging required this information is on the Angus web site. My recommendation is to research if the breeder did what he was suspended for then I would have trouble believing any numbers published that he had turned in. There should be consequences to cheating and by gosh a drop in trust is at the top of the list. The association gave them a slap on the wrist loss of revenue would sting a bit more.

No digging required this information is on the Angus web site. My recommendation is to research if the breeder did what he was suspended for then I would have trouble believing any numbers published that he had turned in. There should be consequences to cheating and by gosh a drop in trust is at the top of the list. The association gave them a slap on the wrist loss of revenue would sting a bit more.
For the "casual" shopper, is there anything in the semen catalog that cross-references disciplinary actions?

It is interesting that a couple of the bulls in this thread have Milk over 30 and $EN in the -10 to 0 range and high $Maternal. Not sure how these numbers come about.
Maternal Weaned Calf Value ($M) , an index, expressed in dollars per head, predicts profitability differences from conception to weaning with the underlying breeding objective assuming that individuals retain their own replacement females within herd and sell the rest of the cull female and all male progeny as feeder calves. The model assumes commercial producers will replace 25% of their breeding females in the first generation and 20% of their breeding females in each subsequent generation. Traits included are as follows: calving ease direct, calving ease maternal, weaning weight, milk, heifer pregnancy, docility, mature cow weight, claw set and foot angle.

The above from the AAA site. My understanding on $M is that if you use it as a target for multiple generations you will get small milky cows but will lose performance in the calves. I am trying a high $M bull as a one time change to see if I can moderate BWs down a bit. It is not a big deal to me but the bull market seems swayed by breeders with less BW than we typically can use here without issue. There's breeding and there's marketing.

I would pass on either of the bulls until I learned more about the breeder.

if this farm cheated I sure wouldn't support them by purchasing semen and certificates. There are to many honest breeders in the industry that you can do business with.

Here is the other part of the story - action taken by the AAA in April in regards to the second member who is mentioned in the June 7th action by the AAA. When honesty and integrity are compromised, all aspects of an operation come into question. It appears one of the guys received a "life sentence" and the other "probation".

What Gizmom said is correct. A person is only as good as their word and you only have one reputation. I would think though , that a company like ABS would suspend the sale of the semen from both bulls if they thought the #'s have been skewed . They (ABS ) stand to lose customers if they sale questionable semen . My 2 cents

What Gizmom said is correct. A person is only as good as their word and you only have one reputation. I would think though , that a company like ABS would suspend the sale of the semen from both bulls if they thought the #'s have been skewed . They (ABS ) stand to lose customers if they sale questionable semen . My 2 cents
Or at least remove the EPD information, or have a statement about action against the breeder. Something that would make the rest of us not in the breed world know that something is fishy in Denmark. Wonder how that affects registrations and AI certificates if the original breeder is suspended? Experience from different species breeder penalties, and buyers who didn't get what they thought they paid for...

Folks I don't know the entire story just what I read on the Angus site. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have said anything not knowing anymore than I do on what actually transpired. I believe honesty and integrity are the most important aspects In any business, so when I saw two bulls being marketed by a breeder that had just been sanctioned for not being honest I sort of lost it.

Latest posts