Twisted scrotum

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
I am raising a bull that is ideal for my purposes, so far. He is just about a year old and is developing nicely. As with any bull he is not perfect. He has about a 30 degree twist to his scrotum. The vet said it probably would not affect his breeding. He does not know if it is a genetic fault or of something else may have caused it.
His future use would be to raise heifers that would be used for production of F1's. The F1's would be commercial cattle raising terminal calves. No future bulls would be produced from him.
The question is, Is the twisted scrotum enough reason to cull him or keep growing him out? Of course he would have to pass a breeding soundness exam when he is old enough.

novatech":1fe3tgrh said:
I am raising a bull that is ideal for my purposes, so far. He is just about a year old and is developing nicely. As with any bull he is not perfect. He has about a 30 degree twist to his scrotum. The vet said it probably would not affect his breeding. He does not know if it is a genetic fault or of something else may have caused it.
His future use would be to raise heifers that would be used for production of F1's. The F1's would be commercial cattle raising terminal calves. No future bulls would be produced from him.
The question is, Is the twisted scrotum enough reason to cull him or keep growing him out? Of course he would have to pass a breeding soundness exam when he is old enough.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Is he line bred by any chance?

I believe there is a correlation between scrotal attachment and udder attachment although some scientists disagree. (some say the correlation is between scrotum and female genitalia). In my experience cows with unbalanced udders are more likely to produce sons with less than perfect scrotal attachment and vice versa.

That being said, look through any AI catalogue and you'll find more than justa few with angled scrotums or twists. In a commercial set up i think you can take the chance, for registered breeding you need to be more selective.

KNERSIE":1e59txj9 said:
I believe there is a correlation between scrotal attachment and udder attachment although some scientists disagree. (some say the correlation is between scrotum and female genitalia). In my experience cows with unbalanced udders are more likely to produce sons with less than perfect scrotal attachment and vice versa.

That being said, look through any AI catalogue and you'll find more than justa few with angled scrotums or twists. In a commercial set up i think you can take the chance, for registered breeding you need to be more selective.

This is what I have always heard. I have also heard that pendulous sheath's result in loose genitalia

Santas and Duhram Reds":3bgjx5u3 said:
KNERSIE":3bgjx5u3 said:

This is what I have always heard. I have also heard that pendulous sheath's result in loose genitalia

I have heard all this as well.

Latest posts