Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

If she has accepted both calves and is raising them you've beat the first hurdle. The cow may, actaully probably will require extra nutrition to feed both calves. Keep an eye on her condition and that both calves are growing properly. If they're a mixed sex pair the odds of the heifer half being a freemartin (sterile) is better then 90%, but she will make excellent beef.

dun

Thanks, she has taken to both and they both look good. The one thing that has bothered me is she will hide one and keep one with her. We have not been able to tell if she is hiding the same one everytime or not. We thought about seperating her from the other cows to feed her more, but when we do that they always walk the fence wanting to get back with the herd. Both babies are fat and health right now and she looks like she has plenty of milk.

I have never heard of one being steirl thats interesting... thanks

RockenG":utqb5pfu said:
Thanks, she has taken to both and they both look good. The one thing that has bothered me is she will hide one and keep one with her. We have not been able to tell if she is hiding the same one everytime or not. We thought about seperating her from the other cows to feed her more, but when we do that they always walk the fence wanting to get back with the herd. Both babies are fat and health right now and she looks like she has plenty of milk.

It's only a sterility issue of they are mixed sex calves.
If you do a search on this site for 'freemartin' you'll get a wealth of information

dun

RockenG":3lgx2xuq said:

It's only a sterility issue of they are mixed sex calves.
If you do a search on this site for 'freemartin' you'll get a wealth of information

dun

RockenG":2bktbkfw said:
The one thing that has bothered me is she will hide one and keep one with her. We have not been able to tell if she is hiding the same one everytime or not.

Within a week or so she won't be able to do the hiding anymore. It's not unusual for one calf to be a little slower to get up and get going then athe other. But it will catch up as it gets a little older.

dun

Latest posts