Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
Does anyone know if cows that have twins have them earlier than single births? Reason Im asking is because I have a cow that is due Christmas Day and She Bagged up really big over night. Absolutely no chance she was bred earlier.

Thanks, Shelby

If it is earlier it's not much earlier, a week or two maybe, but that's still considered in the normal range for gestation.

Some just start bagging earlier. I alwasy hated those kind because they'll really fool you. They're as bad as the ones that wait until they calve to bag.

dun

this cow always bags up in a hurry. Just wondering if anyone knew that kept detailed records of when their cows were bred and calved.

never had a set of twins before.

Shelby

The earliest I know of was the nighbors Holstein. 3 weeks early and neither calf lived. They were both obviously premature even though they weighed over 100 lbs each.

dun

we have a dairy herd and we get the ocasional set ot twins.

they are usualy a little bit earlier (about 4-5days) and some up to 2 weeks earlier.

if she is due around christmas thats more than a month away.
i doubt she will calve on you that soon.

just keep a good eye on her check her daily if possible
and go from there.

if you get realy suspisious and she starts changeing even more drasticly you could have a feel in her.

Fleckvieh DPB":20vxcw7i said:
we have a dairy herd and we get the ocasional set ot twins.

they are usualy a little bit earlier (about 4-5days) and some up to 2 weeks earlier.

if she is due around christmas thats more than a month away.
i doubt she will calve on you that soon.

just keep a good eye on her check her daily if possible
and go from there.

if you get realy suspisious and she starts changeing even more drasticly you could have a feel in her.

Excellent advice

dun

just thought of something else
maby some one else knows more about this
we had a 18 month old heifer was preg for about 2 months or so and she started bagging up so we got the vet to check her on the next herd helth check.
the calf inside her mumified and this or her trying to abort the mummy i guess relesed hormones that happen around calving whitch caused her to bag up.

how old is the cow.
how many calves has she had.
has she ever done something like this b4?
have you always owned her or bought her in?

laters al

This cow is just over 4 years old. She is due for her second calf. on her first calf she bagged up about 5 days befor she calved but she calved on her due date. I have owned her since she was 14 months old. I also have her half sister who does the same thing, she bagges up just 3-5 days before she calves if she does at all.

shelby

Well checked the cow tonight and the discharged has changed from a watery red to a Clear/white Gooey plug. She is sure acting like she is going to calve tonight. Ill let yall know if something happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shelby

She sounds like she's going to calf to me too! Maybe that cold front we had come through is helping her along!

Let us know Shelby!

Unfortunately twins can come very early, depending on the number of cotyledons and the ability of the twins to get sufficient blood supply to provide adequate nutrition. They can definitely come two months early, and you often/usually lose both.

Good Luck!

V

Upon closer examination i have concluded that the cow has had her water break but the calf(s) have not passed. Going to have the vet out to clean the cow out and do a necropsy on any fetuses to see what caused the misscarriage. Pretty sure the calves are dead so there is not alot of hope because it has been too long. I'll let you know what the vet finds.

thanks

shelby

Make sure he is gentle, she may have only aborted one in order to make room for the other to grow. We've had this happen. So be careful

Well had the vet out. No calf. She defiantely aborted. She just hasnt shed the membranes yet. after a thourgh search of the pasture we concluded a coyote(one of many) must have taken the fetus. Cows fine. no probable cause for the abortion. Well Hope I have better luck next year.

thank you for all the suggestions.

Shelby

Well Hope I have better luck next year.

thank you for all the suggestions.

Shelby[/quote]

Loses are part of the business but ti is always hard. Sorry to hear that Shelby. I hope your luck gets better.

Latest posts