Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a heifer twin from a friend who said that because it was a twin it may not be breedable. If it matters the other twin was a bull calf. True/False.

Thank you.

Ten percent chance that she will be fertile. Very cheap way to raise high quality beef anyway as she needs only grass.

ANAZAZI":2tl2jkdr said:
Ten percent chance that she will be fertile. Very cheap way to raise high quality beef anyway as she needs only grass.
Grass isn't very cheap anytime but in the winter it's unavailable.

ga. prime":2lrynt8p said:
ANAZAZI":2lrynt8p said:

Lazy me, I meant that this kind of animal takes almost no feed to raise or finish, and grass, even in the shape ofhay, or silage is cheaper than grain. And they are always delicious from what I know.

ANAZAZI":2oe6espc said:
ga. prime":2oe6espc said:
ANAZAZI":2oe6espc said:

Lazy me, I meant that this kind of animal takes almost no feed to raise or finish, and grass, even in the shape ofhay, or silage is cheaper than grain. And they are always delicious from what I know.

I don't see how she would be any cheaper OR easier to feed. She's going to need the same amount of feed as any other animal would. And as for just grass/hay/silage, she would finish faster with grain in the ration. As for taste, again, no different than any other animal, and it is going to depend some on what she is fed. The only differece with a freemartin vs a regular heifer is that she won't breed......

I don't see how she would be any cheaper OR easier to feed. She's going to need the same amount of feed as any other animal would. And as for just grass/hay/silage, she would finish faster with grain in the ration. As for taste, again, no different than any other animal, and it is going to depend some on what she is fed. The only differece with a freemartin vs a regular heifer is that she won't breed......[/quote]

I could not have said it better myself.

randiliana":1t9l8uxr said:
I don't see how she would be any cheaper OR easier to feed. She's going to need the same amount of feed as any other animal would. And as for just grass/hay/silage, she would finish faster with grain in the ration. As for taste, again, no different than any other animal, and it is going to depend some on what she is fed. The only differece with a freemartin vs a regular heifer is that she won't breed......

There are differences; Most freemartins are without the hormones that goes with gender, so they are a female version of a steer. They have less muscle and grow out to a bigger size than a normal heifer, fatten easier and require less feed. It does not eat any less, only cheaper. The taste is mine and my fathers opinion based on own experience after butchering such individuals, as well as bulls and normal heifers (and cows). No science behind it.

RefugeRanch":1pk3qfr1 said:
I recently purchased a heifer twin from a friend who said that because it was a twin it may not be breedable. If it matters the other twin was a bull calf. True/False.

Thank you.

True. If they were both female, there would be no issues. In fact, my opinion is they are more of a sure thing. My cows that were twin females calve on slightly over a 10 month interval. I have to calve year round to preclude neighboring bulls from breeding my stock. So my bull runs with the cows year round.

You have yourself a good friend on your hands. Many would have dumped this heifer at auction for some unsuspecting purchaser to buy. If she has normal teats and all other female organs are normal, you might have a chance. Something like an 8 or 9 percent chance depending on what you read.

If you are thinking of this gal as a breeding prospect, odds are very much against you. You're better off betting on something with a 98 percent chance.

Your friend has ethics. Go to the banding thread and you can read about the dude who has no ethics.

The free martins that we have finished and butchered ourselves always finished faster and were marbled much better and had better fat cover than steers that we do.

If you want to know for sure you can have a blood teat done for around 30-40 dollars.

Congrats on your new acquisition . :tiphat:

The best place for her is the feedyard don't waste your money tring to find out if she is fertel

RefugeRanch":se5c5jhk said:

Thank you.

Yes, that does matter. The vast majority of heifer calves that are born as twins to a bull calf are freemartins, and are sterile.

Latest posts