Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I have a set of twin simmental heifers that I kept for replacements and was wondering if they are more likely to have twins. The reason I kept them is because their mother is a very good cow, but I got to wondering if I might make a mistake by keeping them.

Usually the chances are higher as they come form very fertile parents on both sides. I have retained many twin heifers and at least one of the twins has had twins in their life time as well..

Thanks for the reply, they weight about 1200lbs so if they would happen to have twins the first time they should not have a problem.

c farmer":2e4qjkg5 said:
Thanks for the reply, they weight about 1200lbs so if they would happen to have twins the first time they should not have a problem.

Ummmm, got to disagree with this response. A set of twins is usually a problem for even the most seasoned cow simply because of the number of babies that she is presented with, and are trying to nurse. Add to that the fact that a first time heifer generally doesn't have a clue what is happening, and it usually gets even more dicey. Now, couple both of the above with the fact that most first time heifers - even at 1200 lbs, depending on your particular breed - are still growing and developing, and twins could very well be a very major problem.

I've had just one set of twins and I really don't care to have another. If we do we will definitely pull one and just let the cow have one. If a cow has twins will she likely have another set or not? just wandering.

snickers":14bxzws6 said:
I've had just one set of twins and I really don't care to have another. If we do we will definitely pull one and just let the cow have one. If a cow has twins will she likely have another set or not? just wandering.
If she has one set the obvious changes are there that she will have another. I've seen cows with twins once and never again and one that twinned every year

dun":1gzd5rr5 said:
snickers":1gzd5rr5 said:
If she has one set the obvious changes are there that she will have another. I've seen cows with twins once and never again and one that twinned every year

Twins are like herpes, it always comes back.

KNERSIE":3bswtacy said:
dun":3bswtacy said:
snickers":3bswtacy said:

Twins are like herpes, it always comes back.
I only have experience with the former so I'll take your word on the latter

From what I've seen, twins tend to run in families. Yeah, twins can be a problem, but honestly we have never had a problem with them except for having freemartins-our cows seem to care for them fine and there is never really a huge size difference between them and other calves, especially if you supplement them (i.e. creeping)

Yup, twins take extra care, extra work. Do the extra work and it usually turns out. If you expect twins put the heifer/cow in a smallish area. They don't count so well so if in a large area she will probably forget about one. Make sure the heifer has enough colostrum for both. If you have any doubt give a couple extra quarts to each calf and keep a close watch on them. The stronger calf in a light milking cow will take it all leaving the weak one to get weaker and more prone to sickness and death.