Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone having lots of twins lately?

We have had three sets...and our calving season has just begun. Two cows are Simbrah and one is purebred Simmental. Which isn't too far fetch since twins are common in the Simmental breed. It has caught us off guard.

It must have been that Blue Moon we had Halloween night.

Most twins come up to 2 weeks early, so the calving season usually starts with the twins. Hopefully you're finished with them. Jeanne
> Anyone having lots of twins
> lately?

> We have had three sets...and our
> calving season has just begun. Two
> cows are Simbrah and one is
> purebred Simmental. Which isn't
> too far fetch since twins are
> common in the Simmental breed. It
> has caught us off guard.

> It must have been that Blue Moon
> we had Halloween night.

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

We recently had 14 sets of twins in 24 hrs. The only explaination that we have is that is has to have somehing to do with the feed they were on when they cycled.

[email protected]

> We recently had 14 sets of twins
> in 24 hrs. The only explaination
> that we have is that is has to
> have somehing to do with the feed
> they were on when they cycled. This sounds interesting. What were you feeding? How has the cow done and are the calves growing alright? If so, let the rest of us in on the secret.

[email protected]

Over 90% of heifers born twin to a bull are sterile (freemartin). Doesn't matter what breed. This only applies to cattle.

dunmovin farms

> I heard that dairy twins are born
> barren. Is this the same with
> Angus twins?

Because of your last comment there, I just figured out what my aunt was talking about all those year ago!

Aunt D is now 94 and along with Uncle M raised cattle all of her adult life. Her aunt, my GreatAunt G never had any children, and I remember Aunt D telling people "well you know, she was a twin". GreatAunt G had a twin brother -- obviously, Aunt D thought that freemartinism applied to humans too!

Ann

> Over 90% of heifers born twin to a
> bull are sterile (freemartin).
> Doesn't matter what breed. This
> only applies to cattle.

> dunmovin farms

Hey Dun, First time I've checked this board in a while (had 111 NEW posts on Beginners Board). Saw your article about twins. Really interesting. Fits everything that I had thought about it. I feel that higher nutrition = higher incedence of twins. And it only makes sense that a cow in better condition AT THE TIME OF CALVING would have less trouble with retained placentas. We don't untrasound our cattle, but if I have a cow losing condition, I suspect twins and put her in with my "pampered" group. Always nice to read your comments. I've had "way" too many "deadlines" (newsletter - directory - semen order - and been gone for a sale in Pa.) Should have more time to check in now. Jeanne
> Over 90% of heifers born twin to a
> bull are sterile (freemartin).
> Doesn't matter what breed. This
> only applies to cattle.

> dunmovin farms

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Latest posts