twins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

we have a pinzgauer cow with twins and we were wondering if the calves will be able to breed ? i understand that dairy calves will not. thank you for your help

[email protected]

For dairy or beef, a heifer born twin to a byll has a greater then 90% probability of being a freemartin (sterile). Heifers born twin to a hrifer or any bull twin is ok, the same as a single birth. Now for the problem with twins. If the cow claims both calves, the odds that she will have adequate milk for both are not very good. If it appears that one calf or the other isn't getting enough milk, bottle feed the calf. In any case, the cow will require additional supplement, i.e. alfalfa hay, grain whatever. You don't want her to milk off so much weight that she won't breed back. As it is, shr may tke longer before she starts cycling again. EC Davis has a DNA blood test that can be done on suspected freemartins to tell if they are ok or if they are freemartins. If you need to know more about the testing, let me know abd I'll post the URLs.

dun

> we have a pinzgauer cow with twins
> and we were wondering if the
> calves will be able to breed ? i
> understand that dairy calves will
> not. thank you for your help

Latest posts