Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
Last year I had a heifer that we had to make take her calf. It wasn't too bad, just locked them in the stall together and they figured it out. I started to get rid of her and then decided that it was probally just a heifer thing and she would be better next year.

WELLL

Last Tuesday morning I found her calf. Still wrapped up in the sack and everything, and she was eating hay. Needless to say the calf was dead. As mad as I was I refrained from shooting her and told myself as soon as she put some wieght back on she was gone!!

WELLL

She looked fine all week and ate well. Then the next Wednesday night (day 9) I noticed she didn't look so hot. I thought maybe retained afterbirth or something and I'll check it out tommorow. Yesterday (day 10) I went to check her. THATS not after birth!!!! Yep, another calf trying to come out. Anyway vet came cause it was baddly breached and we got it out. Cow seems to be doing fine.

Moral of the story:
If you ever have the slightest notion to get rid of a cow, you better do it or she will be the next one to cause trouble.

That is very true in most cases.

I have a cow with major attitude calving time and everytime I promise myself it will be her last time charging and blowing snot at me, but every year she weans the heaviest calf and is first to breed back. Guess I'll tolerate her once more.