twins

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
Are there any good websites that show pictures of cows that are having twins and what the cow look like (size) at 3 months and so on?

lilfarmgirl

it has been my experience that cows carrying twins dont look like they are carrying twins.

I've never been able to tell which one was going to have twins. The ones that I think might never do, and the ones that I never look twice at have the twins. Your guess is as good as anyones.....

Best way to guess if the cow will have twins is by her own physical condition. If the cow is thinner than you would expect considering how she compares to the rest of the herd, and her condition at a previous point, then you better watch for twins.

I had a heifer have twins last year. She did look huge, but she is also a deep bodied cow. Went out to tag her calf, but it was still dripping wet, so we went off to catch another calf, came back about 5 to 10 minutes later and there was another squirt!

I would have to agree that it can be pretty hard to tell, unless the vet can catch it at preg time.

I guess I will just have to keep watching, they just seem so round compared to last year, but then again last year was the first calves ever for them both.

Lilfarmgirl

lilfarmgirl":342bw59s said:
I guess I will just have to keep watching, they just seem so round compared to last year, but then again last year was the first calves ever for them both.

Lilfarmgirl

Sounds like they are probably in much better condition than last year - which would be typical for a second calf cow. I've never been able to guess which ones will throw twins they just appear.

yestersday a cow of mine had twins for the thrid time in a row..she does tend to be a little bigger than the rest of the cows during pregnancy, but overly so...you'd never see her and say i'll bet she has twins...in the past she has had heifer twins,,,this time she had a heifer and a bull, the heifer first...i'v heard that one will be sterile,,,which one, or both???how do you now which one will be sterile?

DRB":2lh1n7z0 said:
yestersday a cow of mine had twins for the thrid time in a row..she does tend to be a little bigger than the rest of the cows during pregnancy, but overly so...you'd never see her and say i'll bet she has twins...in the past she has had heifer twins,,,this time she had a heifer and a bull, the heifer first...i'v heard that one will be sterile,,,which one, or both???how do you now which one will be sterile?

Search this site for freemartin

Latest posts